Question on age of Amtrol expansion tanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Sluggo

Reaction score
At my current house I have one expansion tank on my water heater, and another on the boiler system piping for my radiant heat. I'd like to replace them when they get "old," but I don't know how to read the date codes on the tanks. I've Googled this subject with no luck, so I thought I'd try here. For example, the date code on the radiant heating system is: 14121501. Does anyone know how to decipher this?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Twenty years old? Yikes!

I can't tell you how many times I've seen where a water heater has been replaced and the keep the old expansion tank, which I now know about because it's leaking and needs replacement.
For me, anytime I install a new water heater, the expansion tank also gets replaced. I like to do what needs to happen in "one" trip, not two.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Twenty years old? Yikes!

I can't tell you how many times I've seen where a water heater has been replaced and the keep the old expansion tank, which I now know about because it's leaking and needs replacement.
For me, anytime I install a new water heater, the expansion tank also gets replaced. I like to do what needs to happen in "one" trip, not two.
I agree with you about "Yikes," but I just tested the tank and the bladder is still intact. Maybe it helps that the expansion tank pressure for the radiant heating system is specified as only 12 psi.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I agree with you about "Yikes," but I just tested the tank and the bladder is still intact. Maybe it helps that the expansion tank pressure for the radiant heating system is specified as only 12 psi.
Well...........you can wait for it to start leaking. That's what many are doing. I haven't been working on boilers, so no experience with that, and the pressure on those is a lot lower than the water heater.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
I'm with Terry on this. I prefer to replace things on my terms and not in the middle of the night when all the sudden we are having issues and have to go try and find something in stock. I like to research what's needed, order what's needed and replace it when there's no demand. Our boiler was replaced in 2015, but the expansion tank looks much older and I've though about replacing it. Now that I've gone and recommended you replace yours, I better check mine because it's probably going to fail now!

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Well...........you can wait for it to start leaking. That's what many are doing. I haven't been working on boilers, so no experience with that, and the pressure on those is a lot lower than the water heater.

The only issue I have with replacing mine is that now the tanks don't seem to last very long. Looking at the amtrol ex-30 there's more than a few reviews saying they developed pinhole leaks within a year and that they are only designed to last 5-7 years. (go figure, 5 year warranty). Makes you wonder if one that's 20 years old, will outlast a new one! Unless there's a better brand than amtrol but they seem to be the most popular.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks