Plumbing in concrete too high for new 3-pc shower drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff709

Reaction score
Removed ceramic(?) shower base and planning to build a new pan with mortar. Trouble is, the PVC sticks up above concrete floor and can't (easily) be lowered due to a series of elbows that were likely used to re-route the PVC to the center of the old shower pan. My thoughts are to either (A) find a low-profile drain that can attach to the existing PVC; (B) somehow cut the pvc elbows out and put PVC pipe coming straight up from off-center; (C) purchase a new corner shower pan that will be heavy-duty enough for new, glass shower doors; (D) crazy idea but to build a fairly thick mortar base ... but this would mean the new shower base is about 3-4 inches higher than the old one.

It's tough to see but the top of the straight PVC section is about 1" above the concrete floor level.

I can't see what's below the bottom 45-degree elbow without cutting more of the black plastic away, but by 'feel' I think there's another elbow below that one with a short, maybe 1.5 inches section of PVC in between them. That's my option (B) to collar onto that one and come straight up.

Finally, and I'm guessing this is a flat 'no, don't do it', would it be dumb to collar onto that bottom piece of PVC with something semi-permanent rather than glue? I'm concerned that there would be no way to go back to what is there now if I use up that tiny bit of vertical PVC near the bottom.

Just fyi, this is how I found the plumbing with broken pieces of concrete, dirt, and trash shoveled back into the hole, all under the shower pan :)

20221023_trimmed.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would dig down and install a new p-trap in the correct location.
Have a proper drain for the new shower, set at the right height, and centered where it makes sense.

Jeff709

Reaction score
I would dig down and install a new p-trap in the correct location.
Have a proper drain for the new shower, set at the right height, and centered where it makes sense.
Thanks for quick reply, Terry. Being new, I'm hesitant to dig too far. So ... no problem to remove that black box around the pipe, remove enough dirt to install the proper plumbing like you said, and then just fill back with dirt like the previous installers did? I would most likely put the drain in the center.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jeff 709 sure it doesn't look too bad to dig out you could cut trap off and re do it a little digging and bust out the box . its a little sloppy to bury the garbage though. back fill and put 3 inches of concrete after setting shower drain

Oil Buddy

Reaction score
Removed ceramic(?) shower base and planning to build a new pan with mortar. Trouble is, the PVC sticks up above concrete floor and can't (easily) be lowered due to a series of elbows that were likely used to re-route the PVC to the center of the old shower pan. My thoughts are to either (A) find a low-profile drain that can attach to the existing PVC; (B) somehow cut the pvc elbows out and put PVC pipe coming straight up from off-center; (C) purchase a new corner shower pan that will be heavy-duty enough for new, glass shower doors; (D) crazy idea but to build a fairly thick mortar base ... but this would mean the new shower base is about 3-4 inches higher than the old one.

It's tough to see but the top of the straight PVC section is about 1" above the concrete floor level.

I can't see what's below the bottom 45-degree elbow without cutting more of the black plastic away, but by 'feel' I think there's another elbow below that one with a short, maybe 1.5 inches section of PVC in between them. That's my option (B) to collar onto that one and come straight up.

Finally, and I'm guessing this is a flat 'no, don't do it', would it be dumb to collar onto that bottom piece of PVC with something semi-permanent rather than glue? I'm concerned that there would be no way to go back to what is there now if I use up that tiny bit of vertical PVC near the bottom.

Just fyi, this is how I found the plumbing with broken pieces of concrete, dirt, and trash shoveled back into the hole, all under the shower pan :)

View attachment 87356
I don't know if this will help you but I had the same type of problem. New pan in mobile home, new position for drain had structural angle iron directly below the drain, made everything 1/2" too high. Could not find low profile drain anywhere. Found 2" rubber elbow at ace hardware that squished down and got everything to fit. Another suggestion. I installed ikea sink that floats on wall. Drain elbows out very low profile and goes straight horizontal towards wall. In a pinch, perhaps you could get parts like it and make it all work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks