New 620' Well Pump Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Weldr1

Reaction score
I have a new well that I'd like to get outfitted. Drilled to 620'. The static water level is at 367' producing 4gpm at 400', 11gpm at 495', and then 18gpm at 575'. It is 6" cased to 315' with 4' pvc liner all the way down the hole with perforated sdr17 from 392 to 432, 452 to 532, and 552 to 592. With air draw down we got 18gpm for 180 minutes and 11gpm only draws down 63 feet after 120 minutes. When blowing the well out at 18gpm we started getting very fine sediment that never cleared up. At 11 gpm the water was very clean. I think that's it for the details of the well. The house is 100 feet away and on the same elevation as the well.

The Grundfos 10s20-27 looks like the pump for me. I'm thinking that the pump should be set at 450' but I'm not too sure. I am planning on using a CSV. The pump will most likely be set with 1.25 sch120 PVC. Please let me know what you think about this setup. Thank you.

Attachments

• Image_20221018_1017.jpg
    Image_20221018_1017.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 82

Reach4

Reaction score
Looks about right.
index.php

I am concerned that the pump will be top fed, so there will not be much water flow cooling past the motor.

The 5SQE15-450 3-inch pump could lift the water, but would not give you the flow you want. So your choice seems to be a good one. 7S15-26 would be another good choice. Houses seldom use more than 7 gpm, unless irrigating or filling a swimming pool.

Weldr1

Reaction score
Thank you for posting the table. I have been looking everywhere for it. In my head I'm thinking that if we are getting 7gpm out of the 11 coming from the 495' level, that that would be enough flow to keep the motor cool. I do see what you're saying when you consider that standard household use may not be over 7gpm. Is this setup going to work fine with the CSV? I guess I should add in that I do plan to water my property off of this if possible, as I do not have irrigation water rights. I'm seeing now with the table that I should be able to water the lawn with around 9.5 gpm pretty consistently. Thank you for your input

Reach4

Reaction score
Remember it is the level of the water that determines which column applies, and not the depth of the pump. If the water flow were to slow as the level almost reach the pump, that sounds like a good thing to me.

Did the term "top fed" resonate?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
When installed in a 4" liner the pump really needs to be set above the perforations. But since you know the water level drew down to 430', the pump will need to be set lower than 430'. Setting the pump at 450' would keep it above the bottom perforations. However, whatever is coming from the perfs at 392" to 432" will be top feeding the pump. 2HP and smaller motors are supposed to be short enough to stay cool enough without a flow inducer. But it is always best to have the water flow from below, as it will go past the motor before entering the pump. This is especially true when using low flow rates. If most of your flow is coming from the lower perfs it should be OK, as 2/10's of a GPM past the motor is enough to keep it cool.

With a pumping level of 430', total head needs to be about 550' to add the 50 PSI needed at the house. The 10S20-27 will pump about 9 GPM at that head. With a static level of 367' that pump will make 165 PSI backpressure on the CSV and pipe prior to the CSV, which is well within the specs for the CSV1A. With a 2HP pump at that depth a 10 gallon tank is minimum, and a 20 gallon tank won't hurt anything.

You could also consider a cistern as that way a 10S15-21 could pumping 9 without the pressure, and would always be pumping 9 GPM to help keep the motor cool, if flow from which perforation is a question. Then a booster pump in the cistern using the Cycle Stop Valve could vary flow to as low as 1 GPM without hurting anything. Plus the booster could be large enough to irrigate at 20-25 GPM if you wanted to get across quicker.

Weldr1

Reaction score
What pump would you recommend for more flow? Or would you advise against pulling more out of the well. Would a 16s30-24 be too much pump?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The 16S30-24 will give you 13 GPM at 430' and 50 PSI. It will even have a little less back pressure at 152 PSI than the 10S20. But being a 3HP will need 3 GPM minimum instead of 1 GPM to stay cool. The CSV1A-3 will work with that pump as it will have a 3 GPM minimum. This also means it will fill the tank at 3 GPM instead of 1 GPM, so I would use a 44 gallon size pressure tank.

Weldr1

Reaction score
Thank you Cary. I had a well pump installer trying to sell me a 10SQE15-330 and set it at 500'. When I asked him about running a single phase pump and a CSV he laughed at me and said he wouldn't give 2 cents for a CSV. I proceeded to ask him if I could run the pump that he recommended temporarily for water at the site before the home construction was completed and he said yes it is a 2 wire pump and I could just feed it directly with 240v 60hz single phase until we get the install completed. I turned away and ran.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thank you Cary. I had a well pump installer trying to sell me a 10SQE15-330 and set it at 500'. When I asked him about running a single phase pump and a CSV he laughed at me and said he wouldn't give 2 cents for a CSV. I proceeded to ask him if I could run the pump that he recommended temporarily for water at the site before the home construction was completed and he said yes it is a 2 wire pump and I could just feed it directly with 240v 60hz single phase until we get the install completed. I turned away and ran.
Another pump installer showing his ignorance. Sorry you have to deal with that, but it seems to be the norm these days. If he doesn't understand that a 10SQ15-330 won't do the job, he is not much of a pump man. 2 cents is about all he would make on a CSV anyway, as the CSV will make the pump it controls last longer than he will be alive. If he or anyone else has ever had a pump fail because of a CSV they should let me know, as I would warranty the entire job no matter how long it had been in service. The CSV has never caused a failure in over 30 years and it never will. The CSV has made every pump it controls last many times longer than normal. Educating yourself and running away as fast as you can from a dishonest pump man is the smart thing to do.

Weldr1

Reaction score
Any ideas on how I could get a flow sleeve on an SP pump with the well lined in 4"?

Weldr1

Reaction score
Alright, so it seems like the CSV is basically going to cause my pump to top feed while it is in action, under low flow situation. So it looks like with my well setup I may just need to go with that big pressure tank. Thoughts?

Reach4

Reaction score
Your well will top-feed with or without a CSV. However I think this is probably not the best match for the CSV. I am not a pro.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah setting the pump below any of the perforations will cause it to top feed no matter what. Even with a big pressure tank and no CSV the well will only draw down by the amount you are using. If you are only using 2-3 GPM the pump will be cycling on and off, but the flow entering the well will still be coming from where ever it comes when drawing only 2-3 GPM. I don't think you can count on much flow coming in from below unless you are using 8-9 GPM. The only way to make it always pump 8-9 GPM is to fill a cistern and use a booster pump to supply the water to the house at varied rates.

Weldr1

Reaction score
I guess that settles it, I'll be looking at my options for a cistern tomorrow. I'll just run a 1hp Hallmark in there and call it a day. Thank you gents.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks