How to change elevation in long kitchen sink drain line

Users who are viewing this thread

Dbolljr9

Reaction score
Background: The kitchen sink in my house is located far away from the rest of the plumbing fixtures. It has its own 2" stack and a long horizontal cast iron drain line that runs under my basement floor to join up with main line out of the house. Recently, this 2" line has clogged under the basement floor and I am planning on routing a new PVC drain line overhead in the basement to the 4" cast iron stack at my hall bath, and abandoning the underground cast iron drain. I have attached a sketch of the plan.

I have two questions.
1. Most of the run is horizontal (1/4" per foot) but I need to drop about 12-24" near the 4" stack because the 4" drain from the hall bath toilet to the stack is in the way. Is it better to change this last bit of elevation with 45° incline (dashed line) or with a vertical drop/90° elbows (solid line)?

Attachments

• pipe plan for TLove.png
    pipe plan for TLove.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 129

Dbolljr9

Reaction score
It appears my second question didn't post.

2. I will be cutting the cast iron stack to insert a new sanitary tee with "shielded" no-hub couplings. Should this new 4x2 tee be cast iron or PVC? I will be adding support to the cast iron piping above, but I am still a little concerned about the weight of the cast iron on top of the PVC fitting.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It appears my second question didn't post.

2. I will be cutting the cast iron stack to insert a new sanitary tee with "shielded" no-hub couplings. Should this new 4x2 tee be cast iron or PVC? I will be adding support to the cast iron piping above, but I am still a little concerned about the weight of the cast iron on top of the PVC fitting.
Pipe that spans from floor to ceiling should be supported from above and at the floor. Using a pvc tee would be my choice with a riser clamp at the floor.

Wye into the stack. Long sweep 90 or combo with cleanout horizontally.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you for commenting.

To clarify - you think I should use a wye instead of a sanitary tee at the sewer stack, and that the 2" pipe should approach the wye at a ~45° incline (like the dashed line in the sketch)?
Yep

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks