Tank and Pressure upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Byron Westbrook

DIY guy, gotta lot to learn
Reaction score
Total newbie here. I bought a home about a year ago and it has a well. I’m getting rust out of the pressure tank and I’m going to replace it with a new one.

The old one was a 20 gallon with the pressure switch set at 30 and 50. We’ve had a problem with low pressure at all our faucets and appliances.

The new tank is 32 gallons and comes pre-charged at 38 pounds. I bought a new 40/60 switch.

Before I install it, how can I know if my current well and submersed pump can support the new setup? It’s below ground obviously, so I don’t see an ID plate or any specs. Just a well head out in the yard. We’ve never had a shortage of water, just low pressure. Previous owner was 96 and moved to Florida after selling. Can’t ask him!

Reach4

Reaction score
Are you asking if upgrading from a 20 gallon pump to a 32 gallon pump will make it harder on the pump? Definitely not. It will make it easier on the pump. A 32 gallon tank holds about 8 gallons of water. If your pump delivers 8 gpm, it will take a minute to fill. Running the pump longer is better for the pump than shorter cycles. You want to size a tank to let the pump run a minimum of a minute. That is not a hard limit, but its is a good minimum target.

But you can get rust out of a pressure tank if that is the only problem. It takes a little time.

Precharged Pressure tank flush:
1. Connect a hose to the sediment drain valve, and run that to where you plan to drain the water. I suggest filtering the output through a cloth if you suspect the sediment may include sand.
2. Turn off the pump.
3. Open the drain valve, and let it drain until the water stops. It would be possibly interesting to watch the first water that comes out.
4. Close the valve, and turn the pump back on, and let pressure build.
5. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 as needed.

Reactions: RIR

Byron Westbrook

Reaction score
Are you asking if upgrading from a 20 gallon pump to a 32 gallon pump will make it harder on the pump? Definitely not. It will make it easier on the pump. A 32 gallon tank holds about 8 gallons of water. If your pump delivers 8 gpm, it will take a minute to fill. Running the pump longer is better for the pump than shorter cycles. You want to size a tank to let the pump run a minimum of a minute. That is not a hard limit, but its is a good minimum target.

But you can get rust out of a pressure tank if that is the only problem. It takes a little time.

Precharged Pressure tank flush:
1. Connect a hose to the sediment drain valve, and run that to where you plan to drain the water. I suggest filtering the output through a cloth if you suspect the sediment may include sand.
2. Turn off the pump.
3. Open the drain valve, and let it drain until the water stops. It would be possibly interesting to watch the first water that comes out.
4. Close the valve, and turn the pump back on, and let pressure build.
5. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 as needed.
Thanks. I flushed the tank when we first moved in a year ago and it’s still spitting out rust… some of it pretty big, like sand. So I’m replacing the tank.

But I’m more concerned about the pressure change. Old switch was a 30/50, new switch is a 40/60. Any chance I’ll damage my pump by upping the pressure?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Time how long it takes to go from 40 to 50 and compare it to how long it takes to go from 50 to 60. If it does not slow down considerably, then the pump has extra "head" in reserve and you are not at risk of deadheading it.

Contrary to what many folks think, the pump does not work harder to make higher pressure.

Byron Westbrook

Reaction score
Time how long it takes to go from 40 to 50 and compare it to how long it takes to go from 50 to 60. If it does not slow down considerably, then the pump has extra "head" in reserve and you are not at risk of deadheading it.

Contrary to what many folks think, the pump does not work harder to make higher pressure.
Cool! Thanks! I hope to make it a Labor Day project.

LakeDwellerMN

Reaction score
If your water supply is that nasty, you may want to look at a spin-down filter before the tank. 100 micron would be the absolute finest I would go with.

I know of a plumber who put a spin-down before an above ground jet pump. I do NOT recommend this ... at least he did this after the check valve. Every clean out requires repriming the pump, which is less than ideal.

Byron Westbrook

Reaction score
If your water supply is that nasty, you may want to look at a spin-down filter before the tank. 100 micron would be the absolute finest I would go with.

I know of a plumber who put a spin-down before an above ground jet pump. I do NOT recommend this ... at least he did this after the check valve. Every clean out requires repriming the pump, which is less than ideal.
Thanks. I think the rust is from the old tank, not the well…. I hope.

If it’s still spitting rust after I change the tank, I may look at additional filtration. I have a small whole house filter in there now, just “downstream” from the pressure tank. Nothing fancy.

Byron Westbrook

Reaction score
Pump the rust out of the well for few hours before installing new equipment.
I just read this. I don’t think the rust is from the well. It’s all installed. No leaks. I’ll fill a bucket and check for rust from the drain valve on the tank tree. Had a helper supervising. Photo attached.

Attachments

• 2EC4C8AF-C429-495E-9ECF-E3F2363FA72F.jpeg
    2EC4C8AF-C429-495E-9ECF-E3F2363FA72F.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 103
  • 6B29A50B-F223-44AB-84F5-B0B3A6945B2C.jpeg
    6B29A50B-F223-44AB-84F5-B0B3A6945B2C.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 6948A28E-2985-4A7E-B4D2-CE957A08B762.jpeg
    6948A28E-2985-4A7E-B4D2-CE957A08B762.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 108

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like the helper. Lol! Looks good. Now all you need is to remove that check valve at the end of the black poly pipe and replace it with a CSV1A. Then you would have a real upgrade to strong constant pressure and no cycling every 8 gallons of water the way a 32 gallon size tank normally does.

Byron Westbrook

Reaction score
Like the helper. Lol! Looks good. Now all you need is to remove that check valve at the end of the black poly pipe and replace it with a CSV1A. Then you would have a real upgrade to strong constant pressure and no cycling every 8 gallons of water the way a 32 gallon size tank normally does.
I was wondering about CSVs. Thanks for the tip.

Byron Westbrook

Reaction score
Do they sell CSV1As on this site? I’d rather send th business to the outfit that helps me out if I can.

Reach4

Reaction score
This is the place for that:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks