Hard pipe or Hose for WH and WS

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Getting ready to install water heater and water softener in new utility/laundry room (couple days off). I was going to provide threaded stubs and hook them up with the standard hoses like a washer. The water softener came with hoses. The water heater was previously done with hard pipe.
My coworker (an engineer) suggested that I use hard pipe for both. Also said that was how a pro would do it. He says the hoses would seriously restrict the flow of water. I feel like doing hard pipe adds a level of difficulty to the install and positioning of the units and wouldn't the water flow already be restricted lower than the hoses by the 1/2" supply lines at the fixtures?

So my question to you pro's out there...would you hard pipe (I am using 3/4" CPVC in this area) or go with the hoses?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The right hoses are fine. A lot of pros nowa days use flex hoses. It's case by case. Someone will provide a link of some quality hoses that are full size I don't have the link on hand.

Most pros wouldn't use CPVC so it's really lipstick on pig situation.

Reach4

Reaction score
You can get flex connectors that are not going to restrict the flow. Falcon Mega-flow

For flex, you prefer corrugated, vs braided stainless over rubber. Stainless or copper. Not only are the braided stainless over rubber smaller ID, the rubber can decompose and give you black stuff in your tub.

Many flex lines are smaller than 3/4 ID.

Reaction score
You can get flex connectors that are not going to restrict the flow. Falcon Mega-flow

For flex, you prefer corrugated, vs braided stainless over rubber. Stainless or copper. Not only are the braided stainless over rubber smaller ID, the rubber can decompose and give you black stuff in your tub.

Many flex lines are smaller than 3/4 ID.
Thanks. So flexible good but use the right stuff.

The right hoses are fine. A lot of pros nowa days use flex hoses. It's case by case. Someone will provide a link of some quality hoses that are full size I don't have the link on hand.

Most pros wouldn't use cpvc so it's really lipstick on pig situation.
I have heard this before about CPVC. I am using it because the rest of the house uses it and because I am decent at doing it without issues.

Might I ask why pro's would not use it? I mean they did in the past right?

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
IMO, flex is better. In some places flex is required, mainly for earthquake concern. In some places, flex is forbidden (I am mostly cynical for the reason). I am not a pro.

In earthquake-prone areas, the WH needs strapping.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?members/wellhose-diy-drop-pipe.104501/recent-content are the things I was trying to remember. I have no relevant experience, and am not offering a recommendation or analysis.
I am in North Florida. No earthquakes (or strapping needed) and it might get TO freezing level once or twice a year. My CPVC system is strapped to the joists in my crawl space and both hot and cold are insulated.

JG0203

Reaction score
Getting ready to install water heater and water softener in new utility/laundry room (couple days off). I was going to provide threaded stubs and hook them up with the standard hoses like a washer. The water softener came with hoses. The water heater was previously done with hard pipe.
My coworker (an engineer) suggested that I use hard pipe for both. Also said that was how a pro would do it. He says the hoses would seriously restrict the flow of water. I feel like doing hard pipe adds a level of difficulty to the install and positioning of the units and wouldn't the water flow already be restricted lower than the hoses by the 1/2" supply lines at the fixtures?

So my question to you pro's out there...would you hard pipe (I am using 3/4" CPVC in this area) or go with the hoses?
Use CPVC when it is already in place or if you have access to the supply and return lines to make the change. You usually can't just run the lines. You have to deal with the existing supply and possibly even replace it if the walls are too thin. The CPVC system you describe is an engineer's pipe dream, but I've seen it done and it looks really nice. If you want to use the hoses, then don't use leaks. If you use those cheap plastic connectors, you will have leaks. I've never seen one that didn't leak. Don't use them.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Are you on a municipal system with stable pressure or a well with varying pressure? I find that glass spun tanks rise-and-fall with changes in pressure so rigid piping needs to have room for that.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
michael, cpvc, The cpvc we are talking about copper tube size is particulary thin and gets brittle. most of us around the country that been in trade 30 years or so have at least done a few projects with it, I only have plumbed 5 or 6 projects mostly in 94 or 95 we got through construction with little problem . Im in process of remodeling a master bath nearby it was built in 2000 its only had 2 failures 1 a few years ago slab leak in bathroom first floor owner jack hammered up floor and repaired. second one developed a few monthes ago cieling downstairs was wet fitting at shower above leaked.
Upon performing remodel with water off I got a little rough sort of testing but fully expecting it not to snap but it did also i took some sections home and experianced the stuff is kinda fragile.
We used thick sch 80 cpvc on a hospitol for deionized water and a disney hotel used similar on water mains throughout the hotel.
But in residential work I have yet to find anyone that has much positive things to say. it is easy to work with and cheap pretty fast to install. something very acessable and not prone to damage some may be attracted to use it.
on remodel mentioned i cut it off at the floor level and transitioned to copper, gluing a single joint (thought about a shark bite ) Im pretty skittish of that CPVC

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks