How for fix a small leak in a vertical connection of half-inch copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well if somebody called me I'd want to see it and seeing it in person I could have a different opinion but what's the difference it needs fixing whatever way you can. if you fail trying to solder bust out wall and go another route it is what it is

Mcgee22

Reaction score
I can see all of the joints... and all the way up to the shower head area.. if I pull out my insulation. I find it odd to have configured this will so many pieces. Heating one area I think would loosen one nearby. Maybe I can get a micro torch, or see if the one I bought can do a smaller tighter frame and then try to only hit that area where I see the drips escaping. I can get one hand on it fairly easily. To, would be tricky, but depending on the task.. doable. The idea of using PEX... seems more promising, though I'm not clear on how I might secure the section up at the shower head.

Mcgee22

Reaction score
I can see all of the joints... and all the way up to the shower head area.. if I pull out my insulation. I find it odd to have configured this will so many pieces. Heating one area I think would loosen one nearby. Maybe I can get a micro torch, or see if the one I bought can do a smaller tighter frame and then try to only hit that area where I see the drips escaping. I can get one hand on it fairly easily. To, would be tricky, but depending on the task.. doable. The idea of using PEX... seems more promising, though I'm not clear on how I might secure the section up at the shower head.

Mcgee22

Reaction score
I already called a plumber that our real estate client uses on their eastside listings, and he said all of his plumbers are pretty big, and he went straight to tearing out the wall to access. Kicking myself now that I did not make the wall deeper. Live and learn!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I already called a plumber that our real estate client uses on their eastside listings, and he said all of his plumbers are pretty big, and he went straight to tearing out the wall to access. Kicking myself now that I did not make the wall deeper. Live and learn!
tore wall out and soldered it? just drywall on other side?

Mcgee22

Reaction score
Can you see this much of the joints now? If so, why would wallboard need to be cut out?

index.php
IMG_2739-showerPipe.jpg

The plumber's crew had change out the old steel to pex a few days earlier. So when he installed the posi and shower pipes, I guess he had to do all the 45s etc to get over the pex.

Mcgee22

Reaction score
View attachment 85563The plumber's crew had change out the old steel to pex a few days earlier. So when he installed the posi and shower pipes, I guess he had to do all the 45s etc to get over the pex.
Now... when you face this vantage point.. you see a stove/cooktop, and tiled backsplash/wall. From counter height down though is sheetrock. I might be able to cut out that sheetrock, and then climb up inside to resecure any piping. Would PEX be an easier solution in this scenario?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now... when you face this vantage point.. you see a stove/cooktop, and tiled backsplash/wall. From counter height down though is sheetrock. I might be able to cut out that sheetrock, and then climb up inside to resecure any piping. Would PEX be an easier solution in this scenario?
I thought in post #24 the plumber came and conquered?

Mcgee22

Reaction score
I thought in post #24 the plumber came and conquered?
No Plumber. Just about to cut into the pipes and sub in Tectite connection with PEX. However, I am pretty sure the Moen valve is a 2510 IPS. And my tectite coupler that goes from thread to PEX is MNPS. I didn't see IPS at the Depot. Or will this work and I just use plumbers tape?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your valve takes a 1/2" male pipe thread. Let me look that up. Normally when I buy a push fitting and the other side is 1/2" pipe threads it always works on things like Moen valves, ball valves, couplings, just anything.

tectite-1.jpg

Last edited:

Mcgee22

Reaction score
No Plumber. Just about to cut into the pipes and sub in tectite connection with pex. However, I am pretty sure the Moen valve is a 2510 IPS. And my tectite coupler that goes from thread to pex is MNPS. I didn't see IPS at the Depot. Or will this work and I just use plumbers tape?
I see on the home depot site that there is an IPS 1/2 in. IPS Push-To-Connect x 1/2 in. CTS Brass Male Pipe Thread Adapter. Is that what I need instead on MNPS?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
u120lfz 1/2inch mnpt x push cts shark bite that's what I'm seeing common as dirt tapered pipe threads

Mcgee22

Reaction score
u120lfz 1/2inch mnpt x push cts shark bite that's what I'm seeing common as dirt tapered pipe threads
OK. Tectite is OK to though, right? That seems to be the Home Depot product. I just grabbed the one with threads that was 1/2 inch. I was just reading over the posi specs.. and thought I have the wrong product. But you're saying it will work?

Aaloo

Reaction score
Blunt claims always made by those so called listing holders

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks