Wet vent sketch - please check

Users who are viewing this thread

Stu Aldrich

Reaction score
Hello - I am wondering if this sketch is correct. I'd like to out my soil stack in a place in a spot that does not give me a way to directly vent it, so I came up with this scheme. Although I've done a lot of plumbing repairs, this is the first time I've created a new layout. I've learned a lot from this site, it is extremely helpful! I'm in Vermont, which is IPC as I understand it.

Attachments

• Vent Scheme 1.jpg
    Vent Scheme 1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 96

Stu Aldrich

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the 3" stack drops 9.5 feet before joining the main sewer line, if that is pertinent information. The other dimensions of note are the long 2" horizontal pipe is about 7 feet long, sloped 1/4" per foot, and the vertical pipe from the toilet is about 10". Thanks for your eyeballs.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, it's fine for a 2" drain carrying only a lav and a tub to wet vent the WC. The lav is your drawing is dry vented, and the tub is wet vented by the lav. The WC fixture drain has no fall restrictions between the flange and the point where it is vented, but for the lav and the tub trap arms, the usual restriction applies (maximum fall from trap to wet or dry vent is one pipe diameter).

Cheers< Wayne

Stu Aldrich

Reaction score
Thank you very much! Yes, it's all on the same floor, and the trap arms on the sink and tub are about a foot long. Another question - at the bottom of my 9.5 foot tall 3" soil stack, I am using a 3 x 3 x 3 Combination Wye and 1/8 bend to go back to horizontal, with a cleanout on the "back" side. This is correct, right? Thanks again for your help!
Cheers
Stuart

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you very much! Yes, it's all on the same floor, and the trap arms on the sink and tub are about a foot long. Another question - at the bottom of my 9.5 foot tall 3" soil stack, I am using a 3 x 3 x 3 Combination Wye and 1/8 bend to go back to horizontal, with a cleanout on the "back" side. This is correct, right? Thanks again for your help!
Cheers
Stuart

It's correct, but in my opinion it's not preferred. Better to have the cleanout on the vertical section,just an opinion.

Stu Aldrich

Reaction score
It's correct, but in my opinion it's not preferred. Better to have the cleanout on the vertical section,just an opinion.
Ok, I can see why that would be better, probably a with a long sweep 90 for the turn below the wye for the cleanout, right? In the not unlikely event that I redo it when I realize I've made some other planning error I will do it that way. Thanks very much!

Stu Aldrich

Reaction score
Ah, I see. In this case the turn is near the basement ceiling, so as I have it now it is probably best. Thanks again! This house, built in 1863, got it's first bathrooms in the 1920's I think. Original facilities was a 2 story attached outhouse, with the upper story offset from the lower. When my family bought the house in 1968 a local lady told my dad the outhouse story (it is now a stairway) he didn't believe her - when I gutted that section of the house, I found proof! Took me about 2 weeks to realize what those black streaks running down the 2nd floor wall were! Found a whole lotta little opium bottles down in the bottom, a popular cure for dysentery back in the day...

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ah, I see. In this case the turn is near the basement ceiling, so as I have it now it is probably best. Thanks again! This house, built in 1863, got it's first bathrooms in the 1920's I think. Original facilities was a 2 story attached outhouse, with the upper story offset from the lower. When my family bought the house in 1968 a local lady told my dad the outhouse story (it is now a stairway) he didn't believe her - when I gutted that section of the house, I found proof! Took me about 2 weeks to realize what those black streaks running down the 2nd floor wall were! Found a whole lotta little opium bottles down in the bottom, a popular cure for dysentery back in the day...
Imagine your horizontal run has a plug. How will you open the pipe (which is full of poop) to clean it out? If you unscrew a cleanout plug at the same elevation as the poop water you'll make a mess.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks