Bad jet on pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dorminas

Reaction score
Back on June 16th I noticed my pump running and while I had started laundry it had been a good 10 minutes so I shut the washer off and turned on the tub and noticed the water was rusty brown in color. The water then lost all pressure so I shut the pump off and went down into the well pit.

The last time I had a similar issue, the pressure switch was clogged up so I checked that and it seemed fine so I checked the prime just in case. Prime was full but clogged up with fine sand and what not. So I cleaned that out and also removed the gauge and it was all clogged as well so I cleaned it the best I could and just put it back to plug the hole. I flipped the breaker back on and got about 2-3 gallons of rusty water again before it went to no pressure again.

Since then I have changed out the pressure switch and made sure bladder tank was set right. I also removed the suction pipe plug and it was full of water and when both that and prime plug is removed the prime drains out into the suction pipe and it over flows until level with suction plug hole. And if I tap just right with a hammer I can get about two gallons of dirty water.

Until I seen the suction pipe full I thought maybe the sand point had clogged up but now I feel maybe it’s the jet may be clogged or check valve issue (I’m assuming there is a valve as I was told it’s a 70 ft well and the nut I dropped on a string stopped around 65 feet or so). The only other thing I can think of is that the night before was a thunder storm and maybe something happen to the motor to cause it not to function right.

Dorminas

Reaction score
If it is running it is not the motor. How bad was it clogged with sand? Well may have caved in or something. 1 or 2 pipes going down the well from the pump?
Only places I found sand were under the prime plug and where gauge is and it was hard so my guess is it had been there for awhile. It was maybe 1/4 inch thick at the most. It’s just one pipe running down. It ran just fine the night before because I drew out 6 gallons of water incase the power went out and that water looked normal.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
One single pipe down the well with a jet pump topside, water should not be less than 20-25 feet. You cannot suck water more than 32 feet down. Below that the jet is down in the well with two pipes. Possibly the well went dry. Since it was always working, hydrostatic pressure may have kept the water inside the well pipe above 32 ft. I would still clean the jet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks