Kinetico - who REALLY knows these systems?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mooch91

Reaction score
Is there anyone who REALLY knows a Kinetico system that can help?

I've had a problem with my 2060S that has come and gone multiple times over the past 5 years. With the disc at the 6:00 position, it will sometimes drip to drain. I'll hear it dripping when I come in the basement, advance it one tooth, and it stops. Also, when beginning a regeneration from this position, it will occasionally deliver a significant quantity of salty water to the house. So much that the water will come out sudsy for an extended period of time. I don't know if the internal valving is sending the brine draw to the supply water or if the previous regen left salty water in the opposite tank. Lately it's been doing this every time this tank regenerates.

All steps of the cycle *seem* to be working from what I can tell. Inlet is filtered at 5 microns. I've had it rebuilt (all new seals, even a new control disc) at least three times and had it opened myself multiple times. All passages look clear, the internals are pristine, all o-rings and other rubber parts are in-tact and in position. I've been through all the videos I can find and all the written material and troubleshooting guides available.

Would appreciate if someone could point me to specific problem areas for this issue so I can figure this out. I'm told this is supposed to be the "bees knees" water softener and also most reliable because of its simplicity, but I'm about to swap it out for something more conventional. Wanted to give it one last chance.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Tgmorris99

Reaction score
I more or less like my Kinetico but my local dealer won't sell parts so a $1 part cost the price of a truck roll ($150+) plus parts so that's a downer. I currently have a leaky bypass valve and they only sell the entire valve as a replacement instead of just the internal seals.

Take a look here at the troubleshooting section. It's not for your system specifically but the troubleshooting is pertinent to almost all models.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score
Is there anyone who REALLY knows a Kinetico system that can help?

I've had a problem with my 2060S that has come and gone multiple times over the past 5 years. With the disc at the 6:00 position, it will sometimes drip to drain. I'll hear it dripping when I come in the basement, advance it one tooth, and it stops. Also, when beginning a regeneration from this position, it will occasionally deliver a significant quantity of salty water to the house. So much that the water will come out sudsy for an extended period of time. I don't know if the internal valving is sending the brine draw to the supply water or if the previous regen left salty water in the opposite tank. Lately it's been doing this every time this tank regenerates.

All steps of the cycle *seem* to be working from what I can tell. Inlet is filtered at 5 microns. I've had it rebuilt (all new seals, even a new control disc) at least three times and had it opened myself multiple times. All passages look clear, the internals are pristine, all o-rings and other rubber parts are in-tact and in position. I've been through all the videos I can find and all the written material and troubleshooting guides available.

Would appreciate if someone could point me to specific problem areas for this issue so I can figure this out. I'm told this is supposed to be the "bees knees" water softener and also most reliable because of its simplicity, but I'm about to swap it out for something more conventional. Wanted to give it one last chance.

Thanks in advance.
I have a 2060S that is 16 years old.. I moved into a home that had this unit 5 years ago. I had a Kinetico guy come out and replace some gears and cleaned the valve of some sand.. I have well water and this softener was being fed right after a little filter. Also I thought I was going to need a media change since it was not softening well. It turns out I just needed to clean the unit with Rescare and I now keep a steady drip feed to it. My water is perfectly soft now. I was lucky.. This unit was inside a utility building out of the elements. So it still looks new.. :)

I have since made a lot of changes since.. I added a Katalox Tank that goes to a Carbon Tank and then to the Softener before heading to the house..
If its in good shape I'd try again with the rebuild. There are like 3 layers to the head. maybe one little seal may have been missed.

Have you used these kits that are online..

This site discusses the fact that low water pressure can cause salty remains from not rinsing completely. They suggest prefilters as the cause.. I specifically go a Katalox (well water with H2S) tank and removed all the pre filter canisters. They definitely clogged up fast and hurt my flow.

Katalox inherently filters to about 3 microns. It gets backwashed every night so my water flow is essentially unrestricted.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks