How Do I Pipe Drain Line For New Washing Machine Location?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zacharyd

Reaction score
Hi TerryLove Forums Community,

I'm tasked with piping a drain line for a relocated washing machine within our 3rd floor bathroom renovation. The house is from the 1880's so the floor joists are 2x6's (nominal). The desired location for the new washing machine is located within the 2nd third of the floor joists.

Plan A: Run my pipe parallel with the joists until I hit the exterior wall, where I would then notch/bore through 4 existing joists to reach the existing stack-pipe. It's to my understanding that I'll need to be drilling +/-2 1/4" holes in the existing joists in order to accommodate 2" PVC drain pipe. Is this even possible given the rules on notching/boring through joists?

Plan B: I think is to path my 2" drain line through a wet-wall that will allow me to reach the joist bay the existing stack-pipe is located in.. but this will require having four 90-degree turns. Will that be too many turns, which would potentially be harder to unclog in the future?

Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Zachary

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you should clarify by clicking Edit. Your second sentence was the first confusing thing.

I think 2x6 floor joists are not normal today, but with old wood may have been strong enough. But I would certainly avoid cutting holes in those. I am not a pro.

Zacharyd

Reaction score
I think you should clarify by clicking Edit. Your second sentence was the first confusing thing.

I think 2x6 floor joists are not normal today, but with old wood may have been strong enough. But I would certainly avoid cutting holes in those. I am not a pro.
Understood. I was just giving context of the situation. I'm not sure how to make it any more clear. Apologies for the confusion.

Reach4

Reaction score
Understood. I was just giving context of the situation. I'm not sure how to make it any more clear. Apologies for the confusion.
Ooops. I meant the third sentence was confusing: "The desired location for the new washing machine is located within the 2nd third of the floor joists. "

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
2 inch Long sweeps 4 of them clean outs or not I'd do that before hacking into the joists on my house in the center 3rd of span

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks