Help with venting for toilet + sink + washer

Users who are viewing this thread

Mosho

Reaction score
Hello! I'm finishing my basement and after the drains were set up I decided to expand the bathroom and more the vanity to the opposite wall. Now I need to both add a drain for the vanity sink and also connect the pipe to the vent. The toilet is also vented through this pipe. Since the walls are already spray foamed I'd prefer changing as little as possible while achieving the drains and vents I need.

Another issue I have is that the vanity sink rough in will be about 26'' from the finishing floor level. Is that too high?

Blue - existing
Green - needed

Would something like this work? Thanks!

eyVtA4t.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't drain a washing machine into your toilet vent is that what you are doing now?

Mosho

Reaction score
You can't drain a washing machine into your toilet vent is that what you are doing now?
Yeah, that's how it was set up by my plumber before the new slab was poured (underpinned the basement), but it was also inspected by the city

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, that's how it was set up by my plumber before the new slab was poured (underpinned the basement), but it was also inspected by the city
Well its wrong you can't add to it because it's already wrong.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wet venting is for bathroom fixtures. Or 1 or 2 dfu fixtures.

The washing machine displaces too much air in a drainage system to reliably vent a toilet.

Mosho

Reaction score
Wet venting is for bathroom fixtures. Or 1 or 2 dfu fixtures.

The washing machine displaces too much air in a drainage system to reliably vent a toilet.
I see. Would it help if I had the 2 inch pipe reduce to 1.5 from the end of the wet vent to the machine? I'll talk to someone here about that, there's a floor drain nearby but I'd have to cut the slab to have a separate drain. Another option would be a utility sink, and have the washer drain into that?

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I see. Would it help if I had the 2 inch pipe reduce to 1.5 from the end of the wet vent to the machine? I'll talk to someone here about that, there's a floor drain nearby but I'd have to cut the slab to have a separate drain. Another option would be a utility sink, and have the washer drain into that?
That won't help.

Youd be best to use the toilet vent as a drain for the lavatory, then cut into the building drain for the washer. Better to have the washer tie in far away from a floor drain or any other fixture branch.

Mosho

Reaction score
That won't help.

Youd be best to use the toilet vent as a drain for the lavatory, then cut into the building drain for the washer. Better to have the washer tie in far away from a floor drain or any other fixture branch.
That makes sense but there's no way I can tear up the length of the entire slab to do that...

Mosho

Reaction score
They do have pumps for washing machines. You could pump it into your drainage system elsewhere.
The main vertical stack for the upstairs bathroom is 15-20ft away through all the studs around the bathroom, could I do it that way?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The main vertical stack for the upstairs bathroom is 15-20ft away through all the studs around the bathroom, could I do it that way?
Yeah of course you just need the right pump for a laundry. About any pump will do that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks