Basement bathroom rough-in new construction - what to check?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
We're having a new home built and have asked the builder to provide the rough-in for a basement bathroom; in a year or so I'll be erecting interior walls in the basement area (2x4 walls spaced 1-1/2" off the interior poured foundation walls). Can any of the pros offer any tips on how to be sure the rough-in will be done in such a way as to eliminate the need to break out any of the concrete slab when the bathroom gets finished?

I *think* the main drain will exit below slab level, but am not sure how deep; there is plenty of room in the basement for an ejector pump setup if that's necessary.

A few things come to mind, such as ensuring we have a connection to an atmospheric vent available, taking pictures of the below-slab piping before the slab is poured, and making sure the plumber is aware of the future interior wall position so the drain/vent for the vanity will be in the correct place. What else am I missing? Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated!

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also, I don't trust anyone anymore that say their a plumber. A lot of areas don't even require a license, you should ask them if they have one. One little mistake will cost you big time. Alot of people think anyone can do plumbing.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Draw a sketch of what you're doing and then you will get the correct answers.
I think a lot of people can if they
Also, I don't trust anyone anymore that say their a plumber. A lot of areas don't even require a license, you should ask them if they have one. One little mistake will cost you big time. Alot of people think anyone can do plumbing.
I think most folks can do a lot of their own plumbing, if they take their time and do their homework. That being said, I know several people who have failed to do their homework, with the consequences being floods.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think a lot of people can if they

I think most folks can do a lot of their own plumbing, if they take their time and do their homework. That being said, I know several people who have failed to do their homework, with the consequences being floods.
The problem isn't whether people can or can't. A determined person could do heart surgery with a surgeon standing next to them telling them what to do. The issue is finding the correct information and applying it accurately. If you just Google island vent. Almost every picture is wrong. If you Google under sink plumbing almost every picture is wrong. And on and on.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
The problem isn't whether people can or can't. A determined person could do heart surgery with a surgeon standing next to them telling them what to do. The issue is finding the correct information and applying it accurately. If you just Google island vent. Almost every picture is wrong. If you Google under sink plumbing almost every picture is wrong. And on and on.

Good point …. there is a ton of bad info out there … there are some crazy bath tub install videos on YouTube.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks