Sump overflow to floor drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

SkiBumm

Reaction score
I have a sump pump that runs often (every couple minutes normally to every few seconds during storms) all year round. I'm constantly worried it will fail and cause a lot of damage. I have a water backup and an extra pump on standby that I can swap out for the main one if needed. I test the water backup twice each year.

Additionally, each spring we get huge storms and last year when the street was flooded my pump couldn't keep up with the flow. Had that gone on another 30 minutes the pit would have overflown even though the pump was running non-stop.

The chances of everything failing are low, but not zero, so I am always thinking of ways to make the risk lower.

With all of that said, I recently realized that I have a floor drain about 8ft from the sump pit. What if I created a simple silicone dam that surrounds the pit and drain so that the sump water would flow to the drain if both sump pumps failed? I think this would give me unlimited drainage until I was able to fix the pump, right?

I know there is still a chance that the floor drain is backed up as well but that doesn't seem to have ever happened here yet. If it did, then the sump would be the floor drain's backup too. If both were overflowing then I'm screwed but nobody could say I didn't try my best.

It's probably not to code to use the floor drain normally, but as a "Plan D" backup for peace of mind, what do you think?

SkiBumm

Reaction score
I have a sump pump that runs often (every couple minutes normally to every few seconds during storms) all year round. I'm constantly worried it will fail and cause a lot of damage. I have a water backup and an extra pump on standby that I can swap out for the main one if needed. I test the water backup twice each year.

Additionally, each spring we get huge storms and last year when the street was flooded my pump couldn't keep up with the flow. Had that gone on another 30 minutes the pit would have overflown even though the pump was running non-stop.

The chances of everything failing are low, but not zero, so I am always thinking of ways to make the risk lower.

With all of that said, I recently realized that I have a floor drain about 8ft from the sump pit. What if I created a simple silicone dam that surrounds the pit and drain so that the sump water would flow to the drain if both sump pumps failed? I think this would give me unlimited drainage until I was able to fix the pump, right?

I know there is still a chance that the floor drain is backed up as well but that doesn't seem to have ever happened here yet. If it did, then the sump would be the floor drain's backup too. If both were overflowing then I'm screwed but nobody could say I didn't try my best.

It's probably not to code to use the floor drain normally, but as a "Plan D" backup for peace of mind, what do you think?

Anyone have thoughts on this idea?

SkiBumm

Reaction score
Great suggestion, I'll take a look at that stuff as an alternative. Thank you!

Powerless

Reaction score
I think your spill over solution should be last resort …

I would have drop in pump with garden hose ready and drain to outside or your floor drain to keep from overflowing.

But it sounds like you need larger sump pump or larger outlet pipe - so it can keep up and it’s not overwhelmed, or 2 pipes and 2 pumps (backup pump would have its own line to create reliable backup )

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could cut a trench drain in.

Floor drains are for emergency use in a lot of cases so it's fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks