Removing cartridge from Thermosatic mixing valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Lmcancu

Reaction score
Hi I am trying to remove a cartridge from an thermostatic mixing valve. I think the manufacturer is Riobel but I am not 100% sure. Pictures attached, can anyone confirm the manufacturer? I actually installed the shower system 20 years ago but have little recollection unfortunately. Issue is that the valve seems broken in the sense that it now only produces luke-warm water when turned maximum towards the hot, and a cool but not cold water when maximum towards the cold. It acutally starts clicking in the cold direction and keeps on turning.

How do I remove the cartridge? Any special tools needed to pull out the cartridge or any tips? I have attached some pictures of my actual valve.
1656506112470.png
1656506145192.png
1656506193497.png

1656506253420.png

1656506321930.png

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Riobel isn't a brand I have worked with much here in the US. And maybe this is a newer version of that same fixture.

R46 instructions
R46 Page

The logo looks somewhat reminiscent of the current Riobel logo.. but not exactly the same.. Could still be another brand.

Lmcancu

Reaction score
Do I need to remove the black plastic piece to remove the cartridge? And there is a lock metal retainer as well. I tried removing the black plastic but wasn't successful. Is there a trick?

Neil Binda

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do I need to remove the black plastic piece to remove the cartridge? And there is a lock metal retainer as well. I tried removing the black plastic but wasn't successful. Is there a trick?

Black part comes off as well as that goes over the cartridge . The cartridge and that part are two separate parts . On the brass retainer there is set screw or screw that holds it into the cartridge . Do not damage it as I'm pretty sure those parts are long gone .

I wouldn't attempt to do the repair as more damages could be done . Call a plumber who is used to dealing with these fixtures and go from there .

As mentioned call Riobel or email them

Attachments

• TM22-EXP (2) (1).pdf
    641 KB · Views: 130

Lmcancu

Reaction score
Black part comes off as well as that goes over the cartridge . The cartridge and that part are two separate parts . On the brass retainer there is set screw or screw that holds it into the cartridge . Do not damage it as I'm pretty sure those parts are long gone .

I wouldn't attempt to do the repair as more damages could be done . Call a plumber who is used to dealing with these fixtures and go from there .

As mentioned call Riobel or email them
Thanks for the tips. I will contact Riobel, to see if they recommend a plumber. Seems like the set screws are missing. Is that typical, or perhaps they are seated deep. I tried several allen keys but seems like there is no screw there. Would the black plastic just pop off (pull on ot) or twist off?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would take the advice to call the manufacturer first. They will give you the proper instructions for removal and replacement for such a specific and likely delicate operation. I think the warning likely comes from experience.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I messed up a set screw recently (it was already messed up being as it was a slotted screw but..) where I then had to drill it out.. the drill caused damage to the underlying material which I was 100yrs old tub fitting. I had to take it apart and fill in the material and grind away and polish it. Took 3x longer than had I studied it longer and didn't drill as deep. Painful lesson.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks