How to remove Grohe shower handle - no screws?

Users who are viewing this thread

NotPoopmaster

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 40+ year old shower knob that is malfunctioning. (unknown brand and model) When you turn the knob, it frequently fails to grab the internal rod and get the water flowing. You need to get the knob at the exact depth (pushing & pulling) to get it to grab and function (see linked video). If it is pushed in slightly, it doesn't catch and spins without engaging the road. If it is pulled slightly, it doesn't catch and spins freely.

I can't figure out how to remove the knob. There are no visible screws. There is no cap to be removed. If I continue to screw the know counter clockwise the knob doesn't disengage.

grohe-shower-handle-627.jpg

grohe-shower-handle-628.jpg

Photos & video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1onE9wmeN2q2afuw7

Any ideas on how to remove the knob and fix this issue?

Tx!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They pull straight off.

grohe-koa.jpg

index.php

They can usually be pulled off by hand if you sort of rock them while pulling. Otherwise wrap them with tape and then pull them off with a pair of Channel lock pliers.
hj

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oh yea I remember those I put tons of those on back in 80s and 90s. builder I worked for used them on every job darn near

NotPoopmaster

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry & Jeff. I was able to pull the knob off. It appears that the threads on the knob are sound and thus not causing the problem. The metal arm (onto which the knob sits) is not fixed, however - it can be pushed in or pulled out. This is the reason that we are having difficulty in getting the knob to correctly engage.

Is this a simple problem to fix? I am not an expert and don't want to take something on that could potentially create more of a mess.

Thanks again!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm familiar with the handles, but the stems are ones I haven't seen. Maybe someone here will see this and comment.
How about a picture without the handle on it?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I never worked on that one or seen it but the handles are classic to the brand Is this a diverter ? id try unscrewing the tube then id try unscrewing the cartridge replace whats bad

Neil Binda

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not to sure but maybe these are the parts you would have to replace?

Attachments

• 29263_parts.png
    29263_parts.png
    131 KB · Views: 194
  • GRO45001000.jpg
    GRO45001000.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 184

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess he got busy but Niel Binda looks like you've got picture of a diverter I think that's what he had

Catellus

Reaction score
I Just figured out this method today, and since the question was fairly recent, I'll throw it in. Take a shop rag or other fabric, (I used a quarter of a t-shirt) and twist it into a half-inch rope. wrap that once around the handle, getting it down between the handle and the escutcheon/flange. Twist the ends tightly a couple turns, then take a pair of pliers and twist some more. For me it popped the handle right off, with no flying elbows.

rb

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks