Can a bathtub be vented thru the kitchen sinks drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Branimal

Reaction score
I have a bathtub that needs to drain horizontally to the main stack. The stack is 14' from the tub's drain. I also need to make a 18' horizontal run for the kitchen sink. I'd like to drain both in the same pipe if possible.

The kitchen sink will be vented with a sanitary tee fitting at the wall. This drain line will then run in the walls to another sanitary tee (vented again for bathtub), and then down b/w the joists. It will wye into the bathtubs drain line.

So effectively the kitchen sink's drain line is acting as the bathtub's vent. Will this siphon water from the bathtubs trap?

All pipes are 2". Location is New York (IPC).

Attachments

• IMG_4822 (1).jpg
    IMG_4822 (1).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 155

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your drawing is kind of rough, well it's very rough.

A trap arm's vent needs to be level with its trap. Your drawing appears to show a large drop before venting through the sink.

A kitchen sink can vertically wet vent a bath tub. But horizontal wet venting is limited to bathroom fixtures. Though I'm less familiar with ipc I think these are the limitations. Someone else may have better advise.

Branimal

Reaction score
Your drawing is kind of rough, well it's very rough.

A trap arm's vent needs to be level with its trap. Your drawing appears to show a large drop before venting through the sink.

A kitchen sink can vertically wet vent a bath tub. But horizontal wet venting is limited to bathroom fixtures. Though I'm less familiar with ipc I think these are the limitations. Someone else may have better advise.
I redrew the diagram. Hopefully it's a bit more clear.

The trap arm's vent starts with a wye rolled 45* upright. The wye is slightly higher than the trap. I'll do a mock up with some actual fittings and post a picture of it.

Attachments

• IMG_4827 (2).jpg
    IMG_4827 (2).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 145

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bathtub needs a vent before joining the other line, and the vent is on top of the trap arm.

dwv_b2.jpg

The kitchen sink needs a vent on top of the trap arm, not below.

sink_dw.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
E.g., as in the drawing below. Blue is 2" (recommended for a kitchen sink drain after the vent, but the IPC would allow 1-1/2"), which is all either vertical or horizontal; Green is 1-1/2", which is all either vertical, horizontal, or a trap; and Red is 1-1/2" at a rising angle.

The red can be the branch connection on a wye with horizontal barrel that is rolled 45 degrees off straight up. That puts the red rising at 30 degrees, and it should continue to rise at least that amount until under a wall where it can turn to with a 60 degree bend to go true vertical.

FWIW, the UPC would required the tub drain after the vent wye to be 2", not 1-1/2", but I understand the IPC allows 1-1/2".

Cheers, Wayne

IMG_4827 (2).jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think that would be technically legal. I think that's technically a vertical wet vent. For upc you'd need that long wet vent to be 3".

There's likley a better way to do this.

The San tees you have on the way to the sink are not necessary.

Traditionally each of these two traps would have their own vent and the vents would be vertical until you get 6" above the flood rim of the fixture.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think that would be technically legal. I think that's technically a vertical wet vent. For upc you'd need that long wet vent to be 3".
The only verticals I'm reading on the 2nd isometric are the two vents and the tub and kitchen sink tail pieces (traps not shown). So I see a really long horizontal kitchen sink drain, and an attempt to horizontally wet vent the tub via the kitchen sink vent.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only verticals I'm reading on the 2nd isometric are the two vents and the tub and kitchen sink tail pieces (traps not shown). So I see a really long horizontal kitchen sink drain, and an attempt to horizontally wet vent the tub via the kitchen sink vent.

Cheers, Wayne
The kitchen sink is a traditional kitchen sink with a tee. That's how I read it, but that does take a lot for granted. If that were the case the drain would be vertical,then turn horizontal. If that's not the case then yes I wouldn't call it a vertical wet vent.

Either way there's a better way.

Branimal

Reaction score
E.g., as in the drawing below. Blue is 2" (recommended for a kitchen sink drain after the vent, but the IPC would allow 1-1/2"), which is all either vertical or horizontal; Green is 1-1/2", which is all either vertical, horizontal, or a trap; and Red is 1-1/2" at a rising angle.

The red can be the branch connection on a wye with horizontal barrel that is rolled 45 degrees off straight up. That puts the red rising at 30 degrees, and it should continue to rise at least that amount until under a wall where it can turn to with a 60 degree bend to go true vertical.

FWIW, the UPC would required the tub drain after the vent wye to be 2", not 1-1/2", but I understand the IPC allows 1-1/2".

Cheers, Wayne

Sounds like I need to run two horizontal drain pipes toward the main stack - one for the kitchen sink and one for the tub. That's fine. I was hoping I could consolidate. The pipes will run in parallel joist bays and join up near the stack with a wye and then run into the stack. Exactly what @wwhitney drew.

I have 2" cast iron pipe and 2" PVC. I find that PVC is a bit noisy when draining. Would you guys use the cast iron for the bathtub or the kitchen sink. There will be a dishwasher draining into the tailpiece of the sink's plumbing.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks