So confused about correct water softener size

Users who are viewing this thread

Senatorxmg

Reaction score
Hi,

Before finding and reading the information on this site, I thought I knew which way to go with regards to buying a replacement water softener. I've been enlightened which can also be a curse when all you want to do is buy something and install it! LOL Current system is a 20 year old Fleck 5600 Econominder 32,000 (I'm assuming that's with 1 cu ft resin?). Water hasn't felt great in years and our skin is taking a beating. Thought it was just age taking it's toll. Was orginallly thinking I needed something with more capacity after reading this forum. Decided to get a current water analysis as it had been years since the last one was done and I wanted to be working with accurate info.

I'm on a well and here's my report:

1656004995786.png

Looking at the Aquatell.ca site and their sizing assistant, it was recommended that I purchase a Fleck 5600SXT with 1 cu ft of 10% cross-linked resin. Sounds a little on the small side to me as I see some on this site recommending much larger units with similar parameters...anyone else? While I'm never looking to spend a fortunne, I am looking to purchase something that willl work effectively and efficently. My input pipping is 3/4" and I have 4 people living in this place (2 adults and 2 big teenaged boys...probably the need for 4 adults).

I will be doing the work myself...just want to make sure I get the correct setup. Also, hoping that it's relatively easy to program to run!

Would be very grateful for anyone of you experienced gents to provide some recommendations. :) I'm in Canada...so would be looking for replacements up here obviously.

Reach4

Reaction score
For 4 people, you want 2 cuft of resin in a 52x12 tank.

You will set the hardness to 27, which takes into account high hardness compensation on your 23.39 grains from your test.

Expect to regen about every 7 days typically. I presume this is your own private well.

Senatorxmg

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Yes, it is a private well.

Would the following system be adequate for my needs?

You suggested 2.0 cu ft in a 12x52 tank...this one uses 2.0 cu ft in a 12x48 tank. Is that ok or should I look elsewhere for my needs?

And with regards to the softeners and brine tanks available from different sellers, how does one choose? There's rarely any info or brand names associated with those components. Is quality all the same? Most of the info is focused on the control valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
It is internally a 3/4 inch path, but can use 1 inch or 3/4 connections.

I like the 5600SXT myself.

Senatorxmg

Reaction score
Going to ask this again in case it got missed:

You suggested 2.0 cu ft in a 12x52 tank...this one uses 2.0 cu ft in a 12x48 tank. Is that ok or should I look elsewhere for my needs?

That's a 6" difference. It does not appear that Aquatell puts gravel in...does that explain the tank size difference for their 2.0ft3 offering? I've read lots of reasons to use gravel. I'm not sure if I should call and request the larger softener tank be used. I could then put gravel in myself.

Senatorxmg

Reaction score
So...perhaps this would be a better fit:

Fleck 5810sxt with a 12x52 tank for 2.0ft3 capacity. I know the 5810sxt has a 1" input...can I just put a 3/4" to 1" adapter in place.

This would be better? I don't see that they have a 5800 option for my 3/4" input.

Last edited:

bingow

Reaction score
Newbie here, but careful with the 5810, it has a problematic history (search this forum). Also, I understand that a 12x52 size is needed for proper expansion during/after backwash?

Reach4

Reaction score
So...perhaps this would be a better fit:

Fleck 5810sxt with a 12x52 tank for 2.0ft3 capacity. I know the 5810sxt has a 1" input...can I just put a 3/4" to 1" adapter in place.

This would be better? I don't see that they have a 5800 option for my 3/4" input.
5810SXT has been discontinued, but parts will be available for a long time. I have one, and it is working fine now. They had/have a bad piston breaking problem. Rather than make a more durable piston, they dropped the product.

There is also the 2510SXT. Older design with design similar to 5600sxt but for bigger throughput.

Also consider Clack WS1. In the US, they won't allow sales of systems or parts other than via local dealers. I think they may be more permissive in Canada, perhaps because things are more spread out.

Senatorxmg

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info!

I think I've narrowed down what might be a good fit. I definitely do not want a system with known issues. I know anything can go wrong on anything but will heed to the advice here.

Fleck 5600SXT with a 12x52 softener tank (2.0 ft3 capacity)...10% cross-linked resin. Just need to discuss with the aquatell.ca sales people to see if they're wiling to sell me that combo since it's not listed on their site as an offering.

Reach4

Reaction score
With your non-chlorinated well water, 8% crosslinked is plenty. That said, I also opted for 10% crosslinked on my softener.

Treeman

Reaction score
Just need to discuss with the aquatell.ca sales people to see if they're wiling to sell me that combo since it's not listed on their site as an offering.
Ask them their explanation for their smaller tank with 2 cu. ft. resin, please. I'm curious what their answer is. I found a 10 year old thread here that covered this topic. It was thought that the smaller tank would "probably" work.

Senatorxmg

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks