Adding an additional water storage tank ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
We have a submersible pump that pumps water up to a 2500 gallon tank. From there it drops about 40 feet to a second pressure tank, 30/50 psi switch and pump that pressurizes the house water system ... Currently there is a float valve in the 2500 gallon tank that controls water levels in the tank. I have to do some tank and line service and want to use this opportunity to add an additional new 1500 gallon tank and run it in line to our pressurizing pump. There is a float valve inside the existing water tank that controls water levels in the tank. Although my plumbing skills are sufficient for the project, I do not have system design knowledge and need advice on how to hook these two tanks up together in line. I'd like to leave the existing tank and float in place and just run the drainage line from the existing tank into the new 1500 gallon tank and then take the drainage line from that new tank downhill to the pressurizing pump installation. Is this a feasible plan? If the tanks are right next to each other, will water flow from the existing tank into the new tank (the top inlet of the new tank - inlet - will be at a higher lever than the bottom of the existing tank - outlet-)? If this system will work, could I install two 1500 gallons in line after the existing tank in the same manner? This would give us almost 5500 gallons of water storage total for our property.
Thank you ... Aaron

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just connect the bottoms of the tanks together and make sure all tanks have a vent. The tank levels need to be the same so you can use a single float switch.

Gogogone

Reaction score
Thanks Valveman ... sounds good.
Thanks Valveman ... sounds good.
I just did this hook a second tank up to the pipe right in front of the pressure pump in line with my first tank. I put a shut off valve on the 2nd tank so I can isolate tank if needed. I opened the valve and it is finding level.
my problem is when both tanks are open it loses pressure I close the 2nd tank and the system works fine pumps the line up to 50 psi. I tried to close tank one and open tank two it pumps up to 50 psi shuts off then starts to lose pressure and pump cycles. Do I need a check valve?(very strange)

Gogogone

Reaction score
Just connect the bottoms of the tanks together and make sure all tanks have a vent. The tank levels need to be the same so you can use a single float switch.
I just did this hook a second tank up to the pipe right in front of the pressure pump in line with my first tank. I put a shut off valve on the 2nd tank so I can isolate tank if needed. I opened the valve and it is finding level.
my problem is when both tanks are open it loses pressure I close the 2nd tank and the system works fine pumps the line up to 50 psi. I tried to close tank one and open tank two it pumps up to 50 psi shuts off then starts to lose pressure and pump cycles. Do I need a check valve?(very strange)

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Move the check valve from the first (2500 gallon) tank to the second (1500 gallon) tank. By second, I mean the last tank in the series.

Gogogone

Reaction score
I added another holding tank 2500 gallons. So the first tank has has a isolation valve on the bottom with 1”1/4 pipe that goes down 20” then up to the pump 15’ away the 2nd tank has isolation valve on the bottom fitting then 1”1/4 down 6” and glued to a tee where I cut the pipe coming up to the pump two feet in front of pump.
so the tanks are not quite even water levels yet but if I close the valve on the 2nd tank the pump that supply’s the pressure tank then the house shuts off and works like it should. When I close the valve on the 1st tank and open the second it pumps up shuts off but bleeds off pressure and you can hear it and it cycles the pump in 20 seconds it also does this with both valves opened.the 2nd tank is closer to the pump also. My thought was the holding tank are not pressurized so is the water not just under gravity at the pump or feed side,then under pressure on the pressure tank side? The first holding tank is fill by a submersible. Both tank feed the jet pump. I do not understand why one works and one does not,what am I missing?

Gogogone

Reaction score
I added another holding tank 2500 gallons. So the first tank has has a isolation valve on the bottom with 1”1/4 pipe that goes down 20” then up to the pump 15’ away the 2nd tank has isolation valve on the bottom fitting then 1”1/4 down 6” and glued to a tee where I cut the pipe coming up to the pump two feet in front of pump.
so the tanks are not quite even water levels yet but if I close the valve on the 2nd tank the pump that supply’s the pressure tank then the house shuts off and works like it should. When I close the valve on the 1st tank and open the second it pumps up shuts off but bleeds off pressure and you can hear it and it cycles the pump in 20 seconds it also does this with both valves opened.the 2nd tank is closer to the pump also. My thought was the holding tank are not pressurized so is the water not just under gravity at the pump or feed side,then under pressure on the pressure tank side? The first holding tank is fill by a submersible. Both tank feed the jet pump. I do not understand why one works and one does not,what am I missing?
Or is there a check valve inside the first tank there is pvc pipe plumbed into the bottom fitting inside the tank. I can not see exactly what the piping is doing it is at the bottom of the tank.

Gogogone

Reaction score
Or is there a check valve inside the first tank there is pvc pipe plumbed into the bottom fitting inside the tank. I can not see exactly what the piping is doing it is at the bottom of the tank.
If you don't know where the check valve is, add another to the inlet side of the pump.
Ok thank you, am I correct in thinking that an holding tank unpressurized on top of the ground 8’ tall and jet pump with one inlet and one outlet the outlet going to pressure tank and switch the holding tank side would not be under pressure only gravity right? the strange thing is if I open tank 2 and look at the water the surface is like a seven up just in a small area right above the outlet the the pump turns on and the surface is calm. The two tank water level is not level yet either would that have anything to do with this? Sorry I am sure this is a dumb question I just can not wrap my head around this it seemed like it would be simple
but it seems not so.

Reach4

Reaction score
You should edit post #13. Make it simpler. Your first sentence is particularly hard to read.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
am I correct in thinking that an holding tank unpressurized on top of the ground 8’ tall and jet pump with one inlet and one outlet the outlet going to pressure tank and switch the holding tank side would not be under pressure only gravity right?
The inlet on the jet pump sees full pressure whenever the pump is not running which was why Cary proposed adding a check valve to the inlet of the pump versus moving the existing check valve from the first storage tank to the last in the series as I proposed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks