Is it legal to use a schedule 40 fitting in a DWV application for a trap primer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I need to install a trap primer for a couple of new construction emergency floor drains, and I'm under the UPC. There are a few solutions which go between the drain and trap that allow a 1/2" FPT connection from the trap primer, but they are all very backordered as far as I can tell.

However one of these options would get the job done:
1: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-402-247-2-x-2-x-1-2-PVC-Sch-40-Threaded-Tee-Socket-x-FIPT

2: Glue one of these into a 2x2x1.5" san-tee: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-438-247-2-x-1-2-PVC-Schedule-40-Spigot-x-Female-Bushing

Seems completely functional and equivalent to the commercially available but backordered solution: https://www.siouxchief.com/products...trap-primers/trap-primers/trap-primer-adapter

Do you think an inspector would question either of these alternative solutions?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Drainage requires recessed drainage pattern fittings. Not to say I've never used sched 40 on drainage, but when you look inside of the pipe you can see why. It leaves huge gaps between the end of the pipes. The sewer solids and water take a turbulent path with lots of lips and edges.

In the right configuration I think most inspectors would accept the bushing in a santee.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I happen to have one of those on hand, so if you want to see what John is referring to, there's a picture below. The ID of the hubs is ~2.38" (for the 2.375" OD of 2" Schedule 40 pipe), and the ID of the ~1" between the two hubs is ~2.30". Versus the ID of a Schedule 40 DWV PVC pipe, which is ~2.0".

Cheers, Wayne

Attachments

• PXL_20220614_020509426.jpg
    PXL_20220614_020509426.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 124

Reach4

Reaction score
AFAIK, UPC does not allow PVC pressure piping indoors. I don't know if that applies to pipes and fittings in the slab.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose a santee with bushing might be ok like a 2" x 1/2 inch fip bushing how about a tapped castiron trap? I never seen an abs trap tapped for primer. or tapped drain body? but i only used cast iron traps those should be easy to find

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suppose a santee with bushing might be ok like a 2" x 1/2 inch fip bushing how about a tapped castiron trap? I never seen an abs trap tapped for primer. or tapped drain body? but i only used cast iron traps those should be easy to find
The souix cheif finish line floor drains come with an inlet for trap primer they are plastic.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I meant plastic p traps being tapped but good to know the drains are tapped

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks