Soil stack as common vent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Duplex

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new here and have a question. I'm remodeling a duplex. The 3 inch soil stack is straight vertical. It's a two storey. There's a total of 10 dfu on it. From the top down, second floor, lav, then WC. Ground floor lav, kitchen sink on shared trap arm. And last is washer standpipe. All the drain arms are properly sized. The longest trap arm is the upper lav at about 24 inches. Everything else is closer. At thus point there's no issues. Would some type of dry vent be needed from the lower floor, to up past the highest fixture? Or is the 3 inch stack sufficient. I'm re doing drywall and it's exposed. Thanks.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Vent lower floors until your 4" above the flood level of the highest fixture and then connect to the 3" vent

dwv_b2.jpg

Duplex

Reaction score
I'm just not sure how to interpret the code on this. Seems 3 inch stack is fine for the dfu totals. It's just the multi storey part that's unclear to me. I'm thinking the positive pressure in front of the WC draining would have more of an effect than negative pressure behind.

Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a pro.

I could be wrong, but Under the Plumbing Code Of Canada I think you would not be allowed to use the stack for a wet vent for anything down stream of the top floor toilet.

Check out this video series on wet venting based on PCC. This guy seems to be a plumbing instructors at one of the trade schools.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks