Washing machine drain help

Users who are viewing this thread

Dmt78

Reaction score
Trying to plan the drain for the clothes washer. Our code is 2012 ipc. I’m trying to keep the trap within the one stud bay since they are 2x4 and I need a 2” pipe. I have about 6-7 inches behind the 2x4 wall that I could use that space.

Could I sani-t back towards the space behind the studs and turn the trap portion forward into the stud bay and stub up for the washer box?
I can maybe get a better photo tomorrow to help explain. Ideas?

978498CB-2460-4060-B99B-301BFAC68779.jpeg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sure whatever fits? I'd think about heading off the stud and just running a flat stud down to the floor with room for box to the right. providing structure isn't an issue

Dmt78

Reaction score
sure whatever fits? Id think about heading off the stud and just running a flat stud down to the floor with room for box to the right. providing structure isnt an issue
That stud to the right isn’t supporting anything. There’s a 15” I beam right next to it. So I could probably cut it back or remove it as long as it doesn’t effect any codes.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its mostly for drywall backing is my guess I'd prefer a stud in there. I don't know how inspector will react

Dmt78

Reaction score
I’ll dry fit things today and try to get a better photo. I’d like to fit everything in that single bay as long as the trap arm length will work.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
as long as the trap arm length will work.
Trap arm minimum length is 4" "as the water sees it". So that means 2" of exposed pipe between the hubs is sufficient. IIRC 1.75" may be enough, and 1.5" is too little.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trap arm minimum length is 4" "as the water sees it". So that means 2" of exposed pipe between the hubs is sufficient. IIRC 1.75" may be enough, and 1.5" is too little.

Cheers, Wayne

I think trap arm length is not the end to end cut piece it goes from inner edge of vent to trap wier and if you want it at the minimum I think piece can be shorter than 4 inch, what if you use cast iron need a 4 inch trap arm? opposit for max trap arm lenghth. cant cut use 5 footer on UPC code . minor thing but you want to at least know if you are legal or not . Dont want to nit pick but if some inspector tells me I need to re-do something I want to know who is right, If Im incorrect let me know?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think trap arm length is not the end to end cut piece it goes from inner edge of vent to trap wier and if you want it at the minimum I think piece can be shorter than 4 inch,
That's right. So taking into account the hub depth and curvature of the p-trap outlet elbow and the san-tee, my recollection is that 2" of exposed pipe between the hubs (p-trap outlet hub and san-tee side inlet hub) gives you over 4" of trap arm length. The hub depth is 0.75" each, so just adding those gets you to 3.5". Plus the curvatures make the remaining 0.5" to get past the minimum 4" trap arm length for a 2" trap.

Cheers, Wayne

Dmt78

Reaction score
I did see the minimum 4” somewhere. I am hoping for a bit more just to be safe. Just want to be sure the trap will flow ok if it goes backward then forward, but I guess that’s why it’s adjustable in the first place.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just want to be sure the trap will flow ok if it goes backward then forward, but I guess that’s why it’s adjustable in the first place.
Do you mean the rotational joint between the u-bend and the elbow? Absolutely, you can use any angle that's convenient. The water is going vertical in the joint, I doubt it significantly affects the flow.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That connectivity is fine. I assume you'll be adjusting the two joints you can swivel, so the u-bend inlet lines up under your washing machine box mounted in the 2x4 wall?

Cheers, Wayne

Dmt78

Reaction score
That connectivity is fine. I assume you'll be adjusting the two joints you can swivel, so the u-bend inlet lines up under your washing machine box mounted in the 2x4 wall?

Cheers, Wayne
Yes sir that’s the plan. Thanks everyone for the help

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks