Rough in help!

Users who are viewing this thread

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
Hello all

Been trying to figure out how to do my rough in plumbing. We had someone lined out to do it but they bailed and now we are in a time crunch. I'm by no means a plumber and would say I have basic knowledge working with pvc. We have a 30 x48 metal house going up . I obviously need this rough plumbing in and have a tight deadline to get a inspection. I have some questions on where vents should go and how to set this up. I have loft that covers 900 soft above where most all the plumbing goes. I will attach a rough sketch showing locations of fixtures and walls that are all under loft. Building is 24 feet at peak and open loft. Liners Ning to sewer is 55 inches deep where it leaves and I'm guessing should be about 43 at west side. Foundation footers are 48 inches deep. I have dug the main trench to just before the toilet on the west. Is there a simpler way to connect these fixtures than all individually and how can I vent them to a main stack? There will be about a foot of space under loft. The sink on the east will have a valve vent it's on and island all is concrete slab no crawl .

Thanks for any help
Jayrod
20220521_144948.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your vents need to tie back into the main stack above the last drain. If you want one penetration your washer and lav will have to join at around 42"above the floor and then join back into the stack. The shower and toilet can be vented through the sink.

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
Your vents need to tie back into the main stack above the last drain. If you want one penetration your washer and lav will have to join at around 42"above the floor and then join back into the stack. The shower and toilet can be vented through the sink.
Thank you John for the reply. So I'm assuming last drain means going towards septic? So it is possible then to vent multiple drains on one vent. All pipe for drains will be 2 inches besides the toilets. I am just trying to make sure I can tie it all together without leaving something out before the concrete is poured. I'm thinking I need to have the 2 vents coming off the toilets which I can then tie into those correct? Are showers and tubs like wet vents where would they tie in?
Thanks

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you John for the reply. So I'm assuming last drain means going towards septic? So it is possible then to vent multiple drains on one vent. All pipe for drains will be 2 inches besides the toilets. I am just trying to make sure I can tie it all together without leaving something out before the concrete is poured. I'm thinking I need to have the 2 vents coming off the toilets which I can then tie into those correct? Are showers and tubs like wet vents where would they tie in?
Thanks
I suggest you post a picture that shows how you plan to pipe it and then let it be corrected.

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
Will get that together . Thank you
Bre plum I understand. LOL I didn't want to but circumstances have dictated my fate and inflation has already ruined this side of the budget in the loan. I have no choice but to do it at this point which I am definitely not feeling great about it but confident I can do it with a little more knowledge. I have read more articles and watched more videos in the last 2 days my head is spinning. Just can't seem to find one's that are close to my house set up and with inspection I am trying to get it right the first time . But I do understand where you are coming from it doesn't seem to easy!
I'll say it again.
Under a slab is the last place you want to learn drainage plumbing. WAY too many places to mess it up.

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
Will get that together . Thank you
I do not quite understand the angles I should run these pipe drains yet to get my vents in the wall so I can go up and out the top of the roof on the north side of the house when erected. The living room and kitchen are called and open so I'm trying to make it happen all under loft and reach the north wall and up. I'm sure I've made mistakes a plenty in this sketch so anything that would are this right or easier would be appreciated.

20220522_002618.jpg

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
Thank you . Yes that does seem to help. I can get a better visual now. Well the rain and snow finally stopped so we are going to try and get some done. Will try and get some pics and stay in touch for any questions.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you . Yes that does seem to help. I can get a better visual now. Well the rain and snow finally stopped so we are going to try and get some done. Will try and get some pics and stay in touch for any questions.
I neglected to show the 3"vent through the roof. You do need that.

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
I neglected to show the 3"vent through the roof. You do need that.
Yes I will make sure that gets in there. I have all the ditches dug and I cleaned them out today. Tomorrow I have a little help from a very smart guy ...thank goodness. He is an architect and ex contractor that just happened to have some time and be in my area for the day. I am definitely grateful. I do appreciate your help it did give me a better plan to and save time on digging my pad out for rough in for sure. Will post some pics when I get the pipe glued together and make sure I'm not missing stuff. Thanks again John!

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
Yes I will make sure that gets in there. I have all the ditches dug and I cleaned them out today. Tomorrow I have a little help from a very smart guy ...thank goodness. He is an architect and ex contractor that just happened to have some time and be in my area for the day. I am definitely grateful. I do appreciate your help it did give me a better plan to and save time on digging my pad out for rough in for sure. Will post some pics when I get the pipe glued together and make sure I'm not missing stuff. Thanks again John!
Well no help we got rained out and snowed out. Finally clearing today letting the ditches dry a little. Still have a couple questions that I didn't get answered . Mainly about venting and fittings. I'm pretty sure Colorado is IPC and the fitting I am using were given by the plumber at the plumbing shop. I'm trying to find out how to vent the small bathroom toilet and check out my other vent locations. I am not running any vents up the west wall in master bath my footer is 12 inches wide there and 4 feet deep. I attached another sketch of how it's laid out. A guy told me in the small bath which is east to just plumb the toilet with the 3x3x3 combo to go vertical and reduce out the back with 2 inch for vent up the wall? Seems that vent should come out higher up?

20220525_124554.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't need those two vents. Your drawing is fine it's just not that easy to join this vents into the 3"later. That bathroom can be vented through the aav in your code.

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
You don't need those two vents. Your drawing is fine it's just not that easy to join this vents into the 3"later. That bathroom can be vented through the aav in your code.
Thanks for the reply John. So in the small bathroom to the east I don't need to vent every fixture? Or were you speaking of the master bath. I was going to plumb in the east water closet like one of these 2 images.images (1).jpegaa.jpgimages.jpeg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply John. So in the small bathroom to the east I don't need to vent every fixture? Or were you speaking of the master bath. I was going to plumb in the east water closet like one of these 2 images.View attachment 83775View attachment 83776
The drawing I made is correct. "going out the back of the wye" for the toilet is not correct. I thought you were talking about the big bathroom. The small bathroom why not do what I have drawn?

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
So venting off the main drain line in the small bathroom ? I'm confident I can connect that all to a main vent up above like that.

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
I will have pics today. About to head out there. Still have about a week until inspection since the weather now. ( 1 day a week). And nevermind no wall over that line. But I can do that just off drain lines up into wall which is only 2 ft at most from that main drain line.

JAYROD_co

Reaction score
Hey man, your situation sounds very similar to ours unfortunately. We also have a metal building home with loft. Here’s some very helpful information I received that may help you get some ideas from. I ended up wet venting each bathroom through the sink drain/vent. Good luck!

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/venting-plan-question.96761/#post-696525
Dmt thanks that was very helpful to look at. My small bath with just the shower is set up just like yours pretty much. I am running individual dry vents or aav to all fixtures . The small bathroom I have is set up just like yours without tub. I'm probably switching the sink and wc to match yours. I was going to vent like I wasn't supposed to I guess by running 3 inch pipe vertical Reduce to 2 inch up wall with stub horizontal back out and up to toilet flange. I was told to do it that way by the plumber here but Wayne said no in your thread so I think I will 45 that up to the wall to the right of the wc. My ditches are a little deeper but it's super cold here in winter sometimes coldest in the nation so I'm just going to leave them where there at.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks