Fix toilet flange in concrete or leave it?

Users who are viewing this thread

CBme

Reaction score
Getting ready to do a levelling pour on bathroom floor but need to decide what to do with the flange first. The floor shouldn't be raised up here by the pour, as it the high spot, but if I should fix the flange I want to do it prior to leveling. As you can see in the images they put it flush to the concrete.

Obviously this can (and has) worked with 1/2"-3/4" flooring, via flange extender and Fernco wax-free seal, but it is not obviously not desirable or correct to have not be flush with the finished floor (or on top of it). It appears to be the external fit to the 3" pipe which seems to make removal extra difficult as I'd have to be able to get to the outside to cut it off.

Looking for suggestions as to whether to leave it or not, and if not, how best to approach the difficulty of removing it to add a new one (that can go up an inch)?

Last edited by a moderator:

CBme

Reaction score
The original flange, tho steel, looks pretty good. I would add an Oatey Extender Kit to bring it up to your new desired level. I prefer my flanges to be flush or just slightly proud of the finished floor.
Yes, there isn't any noticeable rust or other degradation on the metal flange so it doesn't need to be replaced for that. It would only be to go through the effort to make it how it should have been done in the first place. Doesn't seem to be a trivial amount of work as it is embedded in the concrete and there is risk to damaging the main pipe so I'm vacillating on making a decision.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would add some Tapcons to hold the ring down to counter the upward force from holding the toilet down.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The original flange, tho steel, looks pretty good. I would add an Oatey Extender Kit to bring it up to your new desired level. I prefer my flanges to be flush or just slightly proud of the finished floor.
I like looks of the extender kit. only thing is those screws look like they might not be much fun on a slab. Certainly a good option it seems under right circumstances

CBme

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'll leave it, add screws and/or concrete epoxy to help hold it down (pipe is in concrete is what is what was holding it currently), and use extenders.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
its a common issue That the flange is simply glued on and not secure to concrete . it saves time to skip a step

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks