Best toilet seat for the Drake II CST454CEFG

Users who are viewing this thread

lucas43

Reaction score
Best toilet seat for the Drake II CST454CEFG

I have read the Toto seats aren't as durable as some of the better quality Bemis seats. I also read on here some older posts, that the toto seats are a better fit and finish.

Anybody find one they really like that is comfortable and durable?

Are the slow close models less durable because people try to force them to close faster?

I think I might prefer non slow close if they are more durable. We had had two toilet seats on our luna brake in the last couple years.

Looked at these so far

only come in slow close as far as I can tell

ss114_new1.jpg

cst454-terrylove-01.jpg

TOTO SS114 Softclose seat.

https://plumbingonline.ca/products/toto-ss114-01

SS154_zoom.jpg

TOTO SS154 seat

dartmouth_pedestal.jpg

SS154 on a Dartmouth

Or these

https://www.bemisseats.com/models/1900SS

https://www.amazon.ca/Bemis-1900000...&keywords=Bemis-1900000&qid=1619829164&sr=8-1

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Fluids don't compress. TO make the soft close function, the fluid (it appears to be a silicone grease actually) must move through a small hole. If you try to force the seat closed, you will be increasing the pressure. That can cause it to fail quicker. Other than that, it's not that big of a deal when you just let it close at its own pace. That's true on any one with slow closing functionality.

The cover on some of the Toto toilets isn't all that strong, so if you leave it closed and use it as a seat, it flexes, at least on the ones I have. They do make several different series of seats, and I've not seen all of them.

rest_in_pasta

Reaction score

PhillipK391

Reaction score
Fluids don't compress. TO make the soft close function, the fluid (it appears to be a silicone grease actually) must move through a small hole. If you try to force the seat closed, you will be increasing the pressure. That can cause it to fail quicker. Other than that, it's not that big of a deal when you just let it close at its own pace. That's true on any one with slow closing functionality.

The cover on some of the Toto toilets isn't all that strong, so if you leave it closed and use it as a seat, it flexes, at least on the ones I have. They do make several different series of seats, and I've not seen all of them.
Good information.

HandyGary

Reaction score
I have a Toto Drake CST743S #11 dated 2012. I have been using a wood Bemis "Easy Clean" seat and lid. The shape and color is a great match BUT!...... I have had to change it a few times and always for the same problem. The so-called easy clean is impossible to clean once any waste touches it. After say 2 minutes, the paint has absorbed the stain deep down. Cleaning methods tried and failed are:
Dawn dish soap
Formula 409
Clorox Wipes
CLR Foaming Bathroom Cleaner
Limeaway toilet cleaner
Aggressive scouring with Comet, Ajax, and Barkeeper's Friend cleansers
Bandaging with a paper towel soaked and kept soaked in Chlorine bleach for hours.

The only way I see to fix it would be to paint it. I am sick and tired of paying for such an inferior product.

Can anyone recommend a painted wood seat that has paint that won't absorb stains?

Thank you all!

Gary

Last edited:

HandyGary

Reaction score
I have a Toto Drake CST743S #11 dated 2012. I have been using a wood Bemis "Easy Clean" seat and lid. The shape and color is a great match BUT!...... I have had to change it a few times and always for the same problem. The so-called easy clean is impossible to clean once any waste touches it. After say 2 minutes, the paint has absorbed the stain deep down. Cleaning methods tried and failed are:
Dawn dish soap
Formula 409
Clorox Wipes
CLR Foaming Bathroom Cleaner
Limeaway toilet cleaner
Aggressive scouring with Comet, Ajax, and Barkeeper's Friend cleansers
Bandaging with a paper towel soaked and kept soaked in Chlorine bleach for hours.

The only way I see to fix it would be to paint it. I am sick and tired of paying for such an inferior product.

Can anyone recommend a painted wood seat that has paint that won't absorb stains?

Thank you all!

Gary
I guess not. This is not the first time that I have a problem that, it seems, nobody else ever had.

Thank you at least for listening, fellows.

HandyGary

Reaction score
I don't know of any painted seat that stays clean over time, plastic is better.
Thanks Terry. Words of a genuine Wizard.

Any suggestions on plastic seats that have low flex and low twist? I could get used to plastic (particularly since it is not cold here) but my complaints about them are flex, extra edges to clean, flexibility, easily scratched.

Thanks all for listening too.

Gary

HandyGary

Reaction score
Thank you Terry. I've been avoiding plastic due to its flex and extra ridges that need cleaning. Maybe it is time that I give-in to the superior material.
Gary

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The home centers have seats on display. The Kohler seats are nice. Also last trip to Costco they had one of their elongated seats with slow close. But wait, Gary needs round.

HandyGary

Reaction score
The home centers have seats on display. The Kohler seats are nice. Also last trip to Costco they one of their elongated seats with slow close. But wait, Gary needs round.
Terry must have read my mind; I ended up getting a round Kohler wooden slow close. It arrived with one of the mounting screw covers broken and rattling around in the package. It is a good looking seat. I'll just glue down the broken cover and keep my fingers crossed on paint longevity.

Gary

HandyGary

Reaction score
Terry must have read my mind; I ended up getting a round Kohler wooden slow close. It arrived with one of the mounting screw covers broken and rattling around in the package. It is a good looking seat. I'll just glue down the broken cover and keep my fingers crossed on paint longevity.

Gary
The round wood Kohler is working out well and has no paint staining issues. Recommended.

Gary

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks