Need 30 and 60 degree 3/4" copper elbows

Users who are viewing this thread

Larry Fine

Reaction score
I'm looking for 3/4" copper sweat elbows in 30- and 60-degree angles, to follow a roof-line for a water heater in an attic. I don't want to use pairs of 90s.

I could use a standard 45 and a street 45 which would create a funny offset, but I would really prefer single fittings. I also don't want to use soft tubing.

Any advice is welcome.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Never seen any. With a spring bender anneal the tubing where the bend will be since a swing joint is out.

Last edited:

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm looking for 3/4" copper sweat elbows in 30- and 60-degree angles, to follow a roof-line for a water heater in an attic. I don't want to use pairs of 90s.

I could use a standard 45 and a street 45 which would create a funny offset, but I would really prefer single fittings. I also don't want to use soft tubing.

Any advice is welcome.
You could bend soft copper. Itd be 7/8" refer copper. Then you could also swage a coupling in both ends.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Run PEX that's what they all do now except a few of us looks sleazy but cheap and easy!

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Never seen any. With a spring bender aneal the tubing where the bend will be since a swing joint is out.
Would it be feasible to bend a 45 degree elbow into a 30 or 60? If you anneal the elbow between the solder cups to soften it, is there a way to restore hardness after bending?

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
as far as I know its not code to bend fittings or to anneal copper and bend . Just what I've heard but never really checked into whether these type modifications are legal. annealing type l and bending it should be just like soft copper but again I don't know that either. but I've done it prefer not to advise people to do this but it works if you don't care . Or ask your inspector or the CDA about it

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
as far as I know its not code to bend fittings or to aneal copper and bend . Just what Ive heard but never really checked into whether these type modifications are legal. annealing type l and bending it should be just like soft copper but again I dont know that either. but Ive done it prefer not to advise people to do this but it works if you dont care . Or ask your inspector or the CDA about it
It's code to bend pipe. It's described in the code. You just can't dent or otherwise deform the pipe. It was the main way to hook up fixtures back in the day.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Would it be feasible to bend a 45 degree elbow into a 30 or 60? If you anneal the elbow between the solder cups to soften it, is there a way to restore hardness after bending?

Cheers, Wayne
There's no way to reharden annealed copper. Fittings are routinely bent when brazing. It's a viable plan but there's no reason to re-harden them.

Houptee

Reaction score
PEX is most economical solution but if you want to stay with copper you could use those approx 1 foot long copper corrugated flex connectors that you sweat on.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's code to bend pipe. It's described in the code. You just can't dent or otherwise deform the pipe. It was the main way to hook up fixtures back in the day.
I never knew that it was legal to anneal and bend. there's the solution !

Reach4

Reaction score
1. You may be able to get some 3/4 K or L soft copper pipe. Bend it as needed.

2. Two 45s in series can make pretty much any angle.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I was at Home Depot today, he's just messing with you, there is no such thing as a 60 degree 3/4" copper fitting.
They do make a 60 degree 1-1/2" DWV fitting for drains.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks