DIY rough in for mudroom questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dsynt

Reaction score
Hello! I'm building a mudroom that will hold a furnace, water heater, laundry sink, washing machine, and toilet.
I'm trying to design my rough in before we pour concrete so I can start digging once I get my permits this week as it's slab foundation with 42" footings.
So my couple things are
A. (Vent for toilet) I need to sleeve through the footing with my 3" main. The wall I come through the footing is the water closet with my toilet. Can I branch off the 3" line with a 2" pipe at a 45° to go through the slab and slightly into the footing before the toilet where itll be inside my wall and go through the roof?
B. (Washer vent) can I use a studor vent for the washing machine or do I need to tie the vents together?

Attached is my plans, one blank and one I drew on. Blue being drains and red veing vents.

Attachments

• received_1184123542334782.jpeg
    received_1184123542334782.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot_20220505-081828_Write on PDF.jpg
    Screenshot_20220505-081828_Write on PDF.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since you don't have a lavatory, wet venting the WC is out. So it is going to need its own dry vent takeoff.

For the sink and the washer, they are next to each other, and you could use IPC "common venting at different levels" which is basically vertical wet venting for any two fixtures. You just stack two san-tees, one for the laundry sink trap arm and one for the stand pipe trap arm. Then your dry vent can rise and combine with the WC dry vent in the framing above.

Or you could use an AAV in a ventilated box in the wall. Or you could use an AAV under the laundry sink (if there's room, it needs to be 4" above the trap arm), in which case the laundry sink would go to the top fitting in the wall, which would be a quarter bend instead of a san-tee. But you'd have to check if everything fits in the available vertical space between the bottom of the laundry sink and the slab: from top down, you'd need: AAV, 4", laundry sink trap arm, quarter bend, san-tee for standpipe, the u-bend of the standpipe trap, slab.

On the WC, the 3" fixture drain (means just one fixture, the WC in this case) goes horizontal at the closet bend, and you can pull the dry vent off with an upright wye, a combo rolled no more than 45 degrees from vertical, or a san-tee on its back (combo is better if you have room). The dry vent has to stay at least 45 degrees above horizontal until it reaches 6" above the fixture flood rim. So it will be a bit tricky to route it into the wall without interfering too much with the footing for the slab.

The sink and washing machine drains need to join the WC fixture drain downstream of the WC vent takeoff.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
depending on depth enter building around 3 foot from the wall so that my trench dosent disturb footing Id have a combi with the 3 inch up and put a santee with cl bend swing it toward center of toilet location and off the top of san tee either reduced or a clean out. Then continue on from the combi underground to the washer location.
Additionaly Id put a floor drain for water heater and or wash machine. just a mud room but might want to protect it

Dsynt

Reaction score
Since you don't have a lavatory, wet venting the WC is out. So it is going to need its own dry vent takeoff.

For the sink and the washer, they are next to each other, and you could use IPC "common venting at different levels" which is basically vertical wet venting for any two fixtures. You just stack two san-tees, one for the laundry sink trap arm and one for the stand pipe trap arm. Then your dry vent can rise and combine with the WC dry vent in the framing above.

Or you could use an AAV in a ventilated box in the wall. Or you could use an AAV under the laundry sink (if there's room, it needs to be 4" above the trap arm), in which case the laundry sink would go to the top fitting in the wall, which would be a quarter bend instead of a san-tee. But you'd have to check if everything fits in the available vertical space between the bottom of the laundry sink and the slab: from top down, you'd need: AAV, 4", laundry sink trap arm, quarter bend, san-tee for standpipe, the u-bend of the standpipe trap, slab.

On the WC, the 3" fixture drain (means just one fixture, the WC in this case) goes horizontal at the closet bend, and you can pull the dry vent off with an upright wye, a combo rolled no more than 45 degrees from vertical, or a san-tee on its back (combo is better if you have room). The dry vent has to stay at least 45 degrees above horizontal until it reaches 6" above the fixture flood rim. So it will be a bit tricky to route it into the wall without interfering too much with the footing for the slab.

The sink and washing machine drains need to join the WC fixture drain downstream of the WC vent takeoff.

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you for you reply, ill try and see if I can have that drawn so I can visualize it. Plumbing is incredibly hard to understand with just words to someone not in the industry haha.

Dsynt

Reaction score
depending on depth enter building around 3 foot from the wall so that my trench dosent disturb footing Id have a combi with the 3 inch up and put a santee with cl bend swing it toward center of toilet location and off the top of san tee either reduced or a clean out. Then continue on from the combi underground to the washer location.
Additionaly Id put a floor drain for water heater and or wash machine. just a mud room but might want to protect it
No matter where I go through, it'll be through the footing and I'll have to sleeve it.

Dsynt

Reaction score

Cheers, Wayne
I also know upc allows somewhat different plumbing for laundry sinks. and standpipes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220510-081443_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220510-081443_Chrome.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 114
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks