Soft or hard copper and Type M is ok it has to be L or K for bathtub pluming

Users who are viewing this thread

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know that pro-press is rated to be installed on all grades of tubing that is rated for potable water: Type M, L and K. We only install press fittings now and use Type L for all of our installations.

Every piece of a plumbing system will fail eventually. Copper tube and fittings will wear out. Will the rubber o-ring seal that is compressed between the fitting and the copper fail before the copper? Dunno.

Here is a cross section of a propress fitting I removed from a project.

Propress_Cross Section.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
In Oklahoma type M (thin wall) is only code approve for above the slab/accessible purposes. Most plumbers use type L throughout a house if they use copper at all. K copper is usually spec'd for commercial jobs.

Curiousv

Reaction score
I know that pro-press is rated to be installed on all grades of tubing that is rated for potable water: Type M, L and K. We only install press fittings now and use Type L for all of our installations.

Every piece of a plumbing system will fail eventually. Copper tube and fittings will wear out. Will the rubber o-ring seal that is compressed between the fitting and the copper fail before the copper? Dunno.

Here is a cross section of a propress fitting I removed from a project.
Ok thanks...someone said you can not use pex between valve and shower head ..is this true ? I thought u cant use between valve and tub spout ..I did not know between valve and shower head

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
No pex for the spout. The shower head is fine.

K copper underground

L commercial and residential above ground

M residential only only above ground only accessible

Pro press the contents of the pipe do not contact the o ring. The o ring is a secondary seal.

Reach4

Reaction score
Requiring K or L depends on local regulations. There are places that don't allow M for pressure piping. Others are fine with it.

I don't think that IPC or UPC specify this, but I easily could be mistaken.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Requiring K or L depends on local regulations. There are places that don't allow M for pressure piping. Others are fine with it.

I don't think that IPC or UPC specify this, but I easily could be mistaken.
Is specified by upc

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks