Venting Issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Claraarcher

Reaction score
In the bathroom i am renovating i found a buried old washer discharge 1 1/2 in copper that ties into the waste line for the tub in the bathroom. It looks like at one point they were running both tub and washer into the 1 1/2 waste line before abandoning the washer line.

The washer discharge pipe is crimped and soldered closed.

I drew it out to show what i am talking about.

I am not sure if this was causing a slow drain in the tub before i gutted the room.

when using the tub air is sucking in from both vents right? and since there is a second vent behind the tub isn't that trying to pull air from behind the tub flow?

The drawing is a bit mis-leading as the washer vent is only 33 inches from the tub in the far wall of the closet next to the tub.

Is it better to leave the tub vent or the washer vent?

vent lines.png

from behind the flow from the tub?

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I take your drawing to be an elevation, and I assume that the tub vent actually isn't not directly over the tub trap outlet; it needs to be at least 3" away for 1-1/2" trap.

If you are doing remodeling, why not remove the unused washer trap, drain, and vent?

The tub trap needs a vent before the tub trap arm has fallen 1-1/2". As long as it has that, the presence or absence of the abandoned washer vent should not affect the tub.

Cheers, Wayne

Claraarcher

Reaction score
I take your drawing to be an elevation, and I assume that the tub vent actually isn't not directly over the tub trap outlet; it needs to be at least 3" away for 1-1/2" trap.

If you are doing remodeling, why not remove the unused washer trap, drain, and vent?

The tub trap needs a vent before the tub trap arm has fallen 1-1/2". As long as it has that, the presence or absence of the abandoned washer vent should not affect the tub.

Cheers, Wayne
sorry i just suck at drawing anything. and pictures i cant get to upload

correct the tub vent is not directly above the trap it is to the right. The tub drain and vent go into a wye then goes into a short straight run to a 90 then straight run into another wye that picks up the washer vent and drain.

only reason i thought it might be better to take out the tub vent is then i can put a niche in the bay where the vent is but taking out the washer side would make the cleanest option so i'll do that.

guy at home depot (yea i know) was old retired plumber and he said the two vents are fighting each other so i got concerned and wanted an opinion for a place i trust - and that is this site!!

thank you!!

Claraarcher

Reaction score
Ok so finally getting back to this project...

for the tub i removed to old washer drain and caped off the tee (discharge inlet from standpipe) but and using the vent line for the tub. I also removed the other old tub vent and capped it off below the ceiling inside the tub wall.

i tried to attach a PDF of the picture =hopefully it posts.

Please let me know if you see anything that might be an issue.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• tub vent drain.pdf
    27.3 KB · Views: 60

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
assuming the white p trap is for the tub ( or anything other use)its vented wrong . I dont see anything in regards to a washing machine hook up anywhere

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks