New outdoor kitchen sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbrown1110

Reaction score
Hello,
I am adding a new deck and porch to our house and adding an outdoor kitchen. The kitchen is going to include a sink for rinsing dishes and washing hands. My city requires that I hook the sink into the sanitary sewer. To my understanding Minnesota doesn't allow AAV's so the venting has me a little confused. My basement is unfinished and there is a future wet bar sink roughed in. This drain is in the perfect spot to tie the new outdoor sink into. I've attached a drawing of what I am planning, but am hoping someone can make sure I'm on the right track. I know I need to island vent the sink, however I can't tie into a vent above the sink without ripping into walls. I think I can horizontally wet vent it though? I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!

2022-05-06 06.41.06.jpg

Attachments

• Plumbing plan.pdf
    213.1 KB · Views: 98

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't combine island sink venting with wet venting. If you can't use an AAV, then you'll need to tie the island sink vent into an existing dry vent at least 6" above the island sink's flood rim. Sounds like that will mean opening up walls.

Cheers, Wayne

Tbrown1110

Reaction score
You're thinking of an Island Vent?

island_sink_bert_polk.jpg
Yes, I was thinking an island vent and then tying into the existing vent line. However I can't tie in 6" higher than the flood rim do to the elevations of the new sink and finished first floor. I'm wondering if I can wye my new vent into the horizontal section of the roughed in vent. I may have been mistaken calling it a wet vent

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your island vent plan looks OK. It requires a cleanout under the sink to access the vent for cleaning. Also you need to build the crown of the vent with 45s and a 90. The foot vent should tie into the drain before the vent.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your island vent plan looks OK.
The diagram doesn't make much sense to me (since the only other fixture it shows is the kitchen sink, and it seems to show a vent rising from the basement to the roof with nothing attached to it other than the kitchen sink vent). But the diagram shows the vent side of the island loop connecting to a horizontal pipe well below the flood rim of the island sink.

That's not allowed, it has to rise to at least 6" above the island sink flood rim before connecting to another dry vent. And if that means removing finishes, that's what's required.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The diagram doesn't make much sense to me (since the only other fixture it shows is the kitchen sink, and it seems to show a vent rising from the basement to the roof with nothing attached to it other than the kitchen sink vent). But the diagram shows the vent side of the island loop connecting to a horizontal pipe well below the flood rim of the island sink.

That's not allowed, it has to rise to at least 6" above the island sink flood rim before connecting to another dry vent. And if that means removing finishes, that's what's required.

Cheers, Wayne
Island venting must hook into a vent below the floor. No way around it. He should have a wye into the drain but then there may be a horizontal portion under the floor. How else could you build a foot vent?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Island venting must hook into a vent below the floor. No way around it. He should have a wye into the drain but then there may be a horizontal portion under the floor. How else could you build a foot vent?
The foot vent below the fixture flood rim is dedicated to the island sink and does not connect to anything (beside the island sink drain) below the island sink flood rim.

". . . a foot vent taken off the vertical fixture vent by means of a wye branch immediately below the floor and extending to the nearest partition and then through the roof to the open air, or shall be permitted to be connected to other vents at a point not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the flood-level rim of the fixtures served."

Also, the vent side of the loop needs to connect "to the horizontal sink drain immediately downstream from the vertical fixture drain."

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The foot vent below the fixture flood rim is dedicated to the island sink and does not connect to anything (beside the island sink drain) below the island sink flood rim.

". . . a foot vent taken off the vertical fixture vent by means of a wye branch immediately below the floor and extending to the nearest partition and then through the roof to the open air, or shall be permitted to be connected to other vents at a point not less than 6 inches (152 mm) above the flood-level rim of the fixtures served."

Also, the vent side of the loop needs to connect "to the horizontal sink drain immediately downstream from the vertical fixture drain."

Cheers, Wayne
That foot vent does connect to the other fixture 6"or more above the fixture served,which I thought from the description is a wet bar in the basement which isn't being used.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
That foot vent does connect to the other fixture 6"or more above the fixture served, which I thought from the description is a wet bar in the basement which isn't being used.
The text says "fixtures served" which would include the island sink.

Also note the last sentence says "An accessible cleanout shall be installed in the vertical portion of the foot vent." The diagram in the OP has no vertical portion of the foot vent. The vertical portion of the foot vent is the rightmost vertical in Terry's diagram.

So instead of connecting to the basement bar sink's vent on the horizontal below the floor, the foot vent needs to turn up, have a cleanout, and connect to the basement bar sink's vent at least 6" above the island sink's flood rim.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks