House has great water pressure but pressure switch & gauge do not have pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Skilled4reel

Reaction score
I have a deep well submersible 1/2hp Schaefer pump. Pressure switch contacts we're old got tired of cleaning them so I replaced the pressure switch. The gauge on the tee with the pressure switch glass was cloudy so I replaced the gauge also. When I flip the breaker the contacts connected house has great water pressure (afraid it might be too much). But the gauge and the pressure switch do not receive any pressure from the quarter inch plastic line that runs down the well housing. It is a clear quarter inch pressure fitted line with a green antifreeze type fluid (thicker like oil but green) substance in it because I am in Michigan. I am headed to get a pressure gauge for my garden hose bib to read my house pressure. My question is am I supposed to Prime this tee? The clear 1/4" tube is full up to the bottom of the plastic tubing but the metal T where the gauge and pressure switch are empty. I had pressure at the switch and gauge before I installed the new gauge and pressure switch and I ruled out a faulty gauge any help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
They stopped selling those pressure switches like you have, for some reason. Did you just put a regular pressure switch in?

I think those came as an assembly with the fluid already in place. I don't know if you can adapt a regular pressure switch.

Where is the pressure tank -- buried near the well?

Skilled4reel

Reaction score
They stopped selling those pressure switches like you have, for some reason. Did you just put a regular pressure switch in?

I think those came as an assembly with the fluid already in place. I don't know if you can adapt a regular pressure switch.

Yes the pressure tank is buried about four feet from the well it had a regular pressure switch I replaced it with the same one and the same gauge same brand and model number I'm trying to attach the files but it's saying they're too large

Skilled4reel

Reaction score

I replaced it with the same pressure switch brand and model I replace the gauge with the same brand and model also yes the pressure tank is buried 4 ft next to the well I'm trying to upload photos but they're saying the files are too large I'm trying to downsize the image size to upload I appreciate your reply

Skilled4reel

Reaction score
Got them to upload

received_1018571392106050.jpeg
received_700278297789383.jpeg
received_300157872314565.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure what would be available to make this work nicely short of having the pressure switch in a vault. That pressure switch with the freeze-proof fluid was a great idea. Maybe there is a replacement I am unaware of.

Skilled4reel

Reaction score
I am not sure what would be available to make this work nicely short of having the pressure switch in a vault. That pressure switch with the freeze-proof fluid was a great idea. Maybe there is a replacement I am unaware of.
With the pressure tank having an air bladder, with me removing the gauge and pressure switch in theory shouldn't allow the bladder to lose air pressure correct? It's my father's well I'm 4 hours from my home up for the weekend and I don't see any remote line running from the buried pressure/expansion to somewhere remotely to hook up the Schrader valve to even check or add air or remove air pressure from the tank either.

Skilled4reel

Reaction score
Furthermore I unscrewed the gauge turned on the well pump. The house has great pressure (better then before) but none of the green fluid or any fluid for that matter pumps out of the tee where the gauge is below the pressure switch so I'm not getting any pressure up the clearline with green fluid to the gauge or pressure switch. But the old gauge and pressure switch registered before I put the new stuff on that's where I'm confused

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looks like a Baker/Monitor in the well control. If the antifreeze isn't making contact with the pressure switch you have too much pressure because the pump cannot shut off. If you have a pressure relief valve, as you should, it should be popping off water somewhere? If not you should turn off the pump before it melts down.

Yes a remote tube is the only way to check air in a buried tank. Buried tanks are notorious for rusting through or having a bad bladder and need to be dug up. Buried tanks have been a problem for generations.

We make a kit with a little 4.5 gallon size tank that can be placed in the house in a small space like above the water heater. The PK1A or PK1AM eliminates the need for a buried tank.

pk1a-md.jpg

pk1am_large.jpg

Skilled4reel

Reaction score
So i pulled the pump up and at the bottom of the 1/4" tubing was a bladder about 12 inches long in a 1/2" pipe that was empty of the green fluid refilled it and all is good now thank you to everyone for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks