Point well problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Limechallenger

Reaction score
I've got a sand point well with a pitcher pump on it. I'm down about 16 feet and have water in the bottom of the pipe. My problem is, as I pump the hand pump I get no water, it just creates a vacuum in the pipe. I've filled the pipe with water and still it developes a vacuum. I have put some tablets down the pipe that were supposed to unclog the pipe, but I still get a vacuum on the bottom leather seal of my pitcher pump! Any suggestions on what could be wrong? I think I have clay below the sand is it possible my pipe is driven too deep?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I've got a sand point well with a pitcher pump on it. I'm down about 16 feet and have water in the bottom of the pipe. My problem is, as I pump the hand pump I get no water, it just creates a vacuum in the pipe. I've filled the pipe with water and still it developes a vacuum. I have put some tablets down the pipe that were supposed to unclog the pipe, but I still get a vacuum on the bottom leather seal of my pitcher pump! Any suggestions on what could be wrong? I think I have clay below the sand is it possible my pipe is driven too deep?
New well? Driven too deep. Old well? point is clogged and tabs might help, but need to be chased with water and given time to work.

Limechallenger

Reaction score
New well? Driven too deep. Old well? point is clogged and tabs might help, but need to be chased with water and given time to work.
New well, the tablets were dropped down the pipe when it was full of water. How much time for the tablets to work? It's been a couple of days ? The guy who helped pound the pipe told me if we hit the clay it would be alot harder to drive any deeper.

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you understand "chased with water"?

But with a new well, it seem likely that you drove the screen past the sand layer.

Reach4

Reaction score
Chased with water means pressurized water correct? Can I just put a garden hose down the pipe ?

Valveman has recommended an amount of water. I suspect that amount is about the volume of the pipe above the screen.

I wonder if it would help to use your available garden hose to pressurize the pipe. Maybe that could blow out what is clogging the path. Not sure. See what others think on that.

Limechallenger

Reaction score
I'm gonna try pushing a garden hose all the way down and turn it on to see if that will flush it clean. If that don't work I will assume it's driven too deep into the clay. Can I pull it out a couple feet ,flush it and try the hand pump again?

Limechallenger

Reaction score
I'm gonna try pushing a garden hose all the way down and turn it on to see if that will flush it clean. If that don't work I will assume it's driven too deep into the clay. Can I pull it out a couple feet ,flush it and try the hand pump again?
Another question, if I fill the pipe with water to the top should the water level drop over time?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks