Installing console sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Rubadubdub3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've taken over a renovation project and we've done some things in the wrong order.

We're installing a console sink in a tiny ensuite. The tiling has already been done. Of course with it being a console sink the water lines and drain are exposed and so should be aesthetically pleasing but I'm worried it's going to end up looking like ugly shit because we didn't plan ahead properly.

The two copper pipes are stopped with sharkbite fittings. My problem is with the fact that one of the pipes is so short out of the wall that a tile has had to be popped out just to be able to get the sharkbite end stop off, because it was sitting within the tile.

What do I do here? I want to be able to attach attractive chrome fittings. I don't know much about plumbing really (a plumber friend is going to help but just cash in hand and he'll want everything set up and decided when he arrives). Can more copper pipe be soldered on to extend it out or is it not a good idea to solder that close to the tile? As it stands there is not enough pipe available to attach a compression fitting. And i don't know how we would get an escutcheon in there.

Also, what about the drain - would there be any issue installing a chrome fitting there? Please be gentle I know these are dumb/basic questions and I know we should've sorted this stuff before the tile went up.

20220327_102423.jpg

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Disaster for you.
For it to look good with exposed plumbing, you need to open the wall, redo the plumbing and patch.

Rubadubdub3

Reaction score
Disaster for you.
For it to look good with exposed plumbing, you need to open the wall, redo the plumbing and patch.
Really not what I wanted to hear

I'd desperately like to avoid opening it all back up, we're at the end of our tether with this renovation as it is. Are there any creative solutions to make it look 'ok' even if looking 'good' isn't possible?

Rubadubdub3

Reaction score
My idea is to take off the sharkbite end stop, and replace it with a sharkbite coupling like this:

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 1.51.38 PM.png

Cover at the wall with an escutcheon with the right diameter hole to cover the sharkbite fitting. Then put another little bit of pipe into the sharkbite for a compression fitting to attach onto.

Thoughts?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
My idea is to take off the sharkbite end stop, and replace it with a sharkbite coupling like this:

View attachment 82396

Cover at the wall with an escutcheon with the right diameter hole to cover the sharkbite fitting. Then put another little bit of pipe into the sharkbite for a compression fitting to attach onto.

Thoughts?
That will look horrible.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to know exactly how much copper is sticking out after tile and a shallow escutcheon.

Rubadubdub3

Reaction score
You need to know exactly how much copper is sticking out after tile and a shallow escutcheon.
What do you mean?

Edit: oh I see. After tile there is basically no copper sticking out. Less than half an inch.

Do you really think my idea with the sharkbite would look that bad? If I did it the same on both sides at least it would be symmetrical.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
What do you mean?

Edit: oh I see. After tile there is basically no copper sticking out. Less than half an inch.

Do you really think my idea with the sharkbite would look that bad? If I did it the same on both sides at least it would be symmetrical.
To me it would. Maybe some others wouldn't think it looked bad.

"Less than half an inch" isn't an exact measurement.

Rubadubdub3

Reaction score
To me it would. Maybe some others wouldn't think it looked bad.

"Less than half an inch" isn't an exact measurement.
Ok I'll try to find out how much copper would be sticking out.

Can you humor me and explain (as if talking to a five year old) why it matters? Do I potentially have other options?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Of course with it being a console sink the water lines and drain are exposed and so should be aesthetically pleasing.

Or not.
I can't see it from my home anyway. :)

You could just use push on stops onto the copper stubs you have now. That would look nicer maybe?

I prefer a tubular trap instead of the ones you glue. It's always nice to be able to remove those for cleaning.

Rubadubdub3

Reaction score
You could just use push on stops onto the copper stubs you have now. That would look nicer maybe?

Thanks for the reply Terry. Do you mean just using a push on angle valve like this?

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 1.25.08 PM.png

I think that would be the most elegant 'compromise' solution, but it would be a very tight fit. The valve would be partly behind the tile and I don't know if there would be enough room for the water line to the faucet, that's what I have to check. I don't suppose if you know if there are 'longer' push-on valves like this, with more room to play with?

Also, on the subject of the tubular trap - would there be any issue with installing that without opening up the wall first?

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks