Single drain and vent for bathrooms

Users who are viewing this thread

Will_

Reaction score

Charlotte Pipe 3X3X3X2X2 DWV SAN TE W/R and L SD INLET 3-in x 2-in x 3-in x 3-in Hub x Hub Schedule 40 Tee​

Item #1086122Model #PVC 00418 0800

I found in code that you can have a stack of shared drain / vents on this page:

I don't see that you can do 3 together.

Are you allowed? Can they be offset? Would the Charlotte #PVC 00418 allow for a shower on the left, a toilet in the middle, a single vanity on the right and a shared vent up top? The left and right inlets don't look like sanitary tees. This will go straight down about 10 feet no curves to a horizontal drain that would feed into the septic tank. Another bathroom would do the same thing down to the same horizontal pipe about 32' away.

If I am not allowed to connect all 3 at the same location, would I be able to have the toilet and shower connect at the bottom and then the vanity connect higher up in the stack and share that vent?

Bathroom will be 8' x 5' shower, toilet, vanity left to right.

Thanks,
Will

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, you can do that, although it may not be the optimal solution. A san-tee with opposing side entries creates a snaking challenge, so have a cleanout on the stack above or below your san-tee with 2 side entries would be wise.

Looks like MD uses the IPC even for single family homes, so here's the reference:

Cheers, Wayne

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have never seen an ugly clean out cover in a residential bathroom. If you have a clog you either go through the shower drain, pull the toilet or go on the roof. Does anyone here have a clean out on their bathroom wall?

Will_

Reaction score
This will actually be for Virginia, which I think is IPC as well.

What specifically allows the side inlets not to be sanitary tees, unless I am not seeing it right and it is a sanitary tee.

The page your referenced seems to disallow the 3 connections in the same place:

"The dry-vent connection to the vertical wet vent shall be an individual or common vent serving one or two fixtures."

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you make the vent 2" you have a wet vented bathroom. A side inlet santee is allowed. You are not connecting 3 fixtures at the same location. This is a common configuration.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
What they mean by "wet vent shall be an individual or common vent serving one or two fixtures" is if you only have one lav drain tied into the vent it would be an " individual vent " but if you had two lav drains tied into the vent it would be a "common vent" and you are only allowed to have at the most "two lav drains" tied into the vent to create a wet vent. Does that clear it up.

Will_

Reaction score
If you make the vent 2" you have a wet vented bathroom. A side inlet santee is allowed. You are not connecting 3 fixtures at the same location. This is a common configuration.
It would be 3 fixtures at the same location using the Charlotte #PVC 00418 0800. Sorry if I am being dense and not understanding something.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toilet on the bottom, shower above that then straight up to the lav with 2".

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
this. Untitled.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have never seen an ugly clean out cover in a residential bathroom. If you have a clog you either go through the shower drain, pull the toilet or go on the roof. Does anyone here have a clean out on their bathroom wall?
I put clean outs on many bathroom walls, closets, behind wash machines, above urinals (commercial) under every sink practically that's not a Lavatory. Pretty strict codes in UPC and if new construction its adhered to for us. so no mater how ugly cleanouts go on most times. even if they will never get used. my particular bathroom has cleanout on garage wall, kitchen sink has C/O under sink in wall. one 3 inch C/0 in ground below where stack goes to second floor, wall clean for 2 inch stack going up stairs, garage floor clean out for the sewer main, in garage a large box for access to B/W valve with an additional clean out.
I know its a lot of info but this is a typical 22 year old 3 bath 2500 square ft home in so Cal, yes clean outs we have them. I think most places don't put any just disregard code

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
I put clean outs on many bathroom walls, closets, behind wash machines, above urinals (commercial) under every sink practically that's not a Lavatory. Pretty strict codes in UPC and if new construction its adhered to for us. so no mater how ugly cleanouts go on most times. even if they will never get used. my particular bathroom has cleanout on garage wall, kitchen sink has C/O under sink in wall. one 3 inch C/0 in ground below where stack goes to second floor, wall clean for 2 inch stack going up stairs, garage floor clean out for the sewer main, in garage a large box for access to B/W valve with an additional clean out.
I know its a lot of info but this is a typical 22 year old 3 bath 2500 square ft home in so Cal, yes clean outs we have them. I think most places don't put any just disregard code
A removable trap is considered a acceptable substitution for a clean out specifically to avoid clean outs.

Will_

Reaction score
One reason I wanted all three together is because it is an exterior wall and it would avoid going through the studs, though they will be 2X6. Floors will be 2X12. I am guessing with the one on the right the shower will still be below the bottom plate, through the joists, at the rim joist, and the toilet will just be one fitting lower. Sound right? The sink will go through one stud.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The page your referenced seems to disallow the 3 connections in the same place:
You raise a very good question to which the answer is not clear to me. I'm somewhat inclined to say that with the 3 horizontal inlet san-tee, there is no wet vent, as vertically the pipe above the inlets is the dry vent, and below the inlets is the drain.

That does raise the question of whether the original configuration proposed would be considered 3 individually vented fixtures, or not. If not, then it would not be allowed as a common vent, since that is restricted to 2 fixtures. However, that whole discussion is moot:

If the lav is only one stud bay away, drill the stud and connect the lav trap arm to be individually vented by the stack. Then the shower and WC can be wet vented below. You can stack a 2" san-tee for the shower above a 3" san-tee or wye for the WC. Or you could use a 3" san-tee with 2" side inlet and bring both the shower and the WC in at the same elevation. [I.e. the two options in the diagram from James.]

Cheers, Wayne

Will_

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the help with this. After reviewing all of this and writing some things out it seems to make a lot of sense to do it like the second drawing in James' picture.

Will_

Reaction score
In the second picture, can I reduce from 3" to 2" right above the toilet's san tee? Also a similar configuration with a powder room but the top drain being a washer on the floor above. Can that also being reduced to a 2" right above the toilet?

Will_

Reaction score
Sorry one more, there are 3 rooms like this. Can 2 or 3 of the vents be tied together in the attic and go out the roof instead of having 3 separate vents going out the roof?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks