3" cleanout behind vanity - what types of vanities can I get away with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rossn

Reaction score
Would IPC/IRC permit a free-standing vanity that is not attached to the wall be removed to access a 3" cleanout behind it? Safe to assume the cleanout will be visible under the vanity.

If not, what ideas do you have?

This is remodel, so I assume the county will give some leeway.

Details:
Have a cleanout before the 3" drain goes below grade. The above grade portion of the drain is in a chase that is the wall of a bathroom (picture attached), where a vanity will be located. Subfloor will add another 2-1/2" to the current slab, so the bottom of the cleanout will be about 3-1/2" AFF.

We are on 2015 IPC/IRC, and I have reviewed IPC 708.1.9-10 and IRC P3005.2.6, which are identical and seem to indicate you need an area of 18" radius around and in front of the cleanout.

Since the tile on the vanity wall will be very featured, the vanity will be free-standing (probably 4' wide) and not physically attached to the wall. It cannot be a vanity that goes all the way to the floor, as we are going for a more modern aesthetic.

vanity_cleanout.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Your trap arm must be vented before the flow goes down.

I would guess the cleanout is ok.

Rossn

Reaction score
Your trap arm must be vented before the flow goes down.

I would guess the cleanout is ok.
Thanks - the plumber was planning on doing that after the inspection/pressure test with an AAV.

You are thinking the cleanout is OK behind a free standing vanity?

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Should have given more thought to the location. Will be tricky to snake and could leak the the first time the plug is reinstalled.

Rossn

Reaction score
Should have given more thought to the location. Will be tricky to snake and could leak the the first time the plug is reinstalled.
Yeah, I understand, though think there were limited options available to the plumber for this remodel - it was as stretch on many fronts.

That is why I was thinking if the vanity is free-standing, the trap and supplies can be disconnected and the vanity swung out of the way.

I guess I'll reach out to the inspector and see how he responds. I'm not sure there are better options.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks