Did I do this right? Recessed toilet flange....

Users who are viewing this thread

Alex_T

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

We had our main bathroom renovated 4 years ago. As part of that Reno, the floor was replaced with new tile over 1/2" plywood.

I recently noticed damp grout around the toilet, so I removed it to inspect. It looks likes they added a spacer to the toilet flange, and used a single wax ring. Upon removal it was easy to tell that the wax hadn't squished out like I think it should have.

I cleaned everything up well, and installed a regular wax ring with a second ring with the horn on top (had read that advice from Terry on here before).

When installing I could feel the wax squishing down. Without moving or rocking the bowl, I installed the washers & nuts.

Doesnt seem to be leaking yet, but time will tell.

Would this be a suitable repair for my situation?

Thanks a lot

Here's some pics when I disassembled everything:

Screenshot_20220320-130251_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220320-130238_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20220320-130229_Photos.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Assuming that they Siliconed the spacers properly, then yes, the compressed wax should work.
My preference is to not add the spacers, as I'm never sure if those will seal. They do make flanges with insert inside the pipe below.

Alex_T

Reaction score
I do remember the plumber using silicon when installing the spacer. I guess I'll keep a close eye on it.

Does that previously installed ring look like it was not thick enough?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I do remember the plumber using silicon when installing the spacer. I guess I'll keep a close eye on it.

Does that previously installed ring look like it was not thick enough?

I think the two wax rings that you installed are going to work better. There are times when things are just so close. I try the one ring, I feel no compression. I lift the bowl back up, drop two rings down, then it compresses.
I don't hear from them again until they move to a new home and need new toilets for that home.
When I get compression, I have no problems.

Alex_T

Reaction score
I think the two wax rings that you installed are going to work better. There are times when things are just so close. I try the one ring, I feel no compression. I lift the bowl back up, drop two rings down, then it compresses.
I don't hear from them again until they move to a new home and need new toilets for that home.
When I get compression, I have no problems.
Thanks Terry. Really appreciate the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks