Relocating washer

Users who are viewing this thread

Boman66

Reaction score
Relocating washer, dryer, and water heater from a kitchen to a room next to the bath and a half.
The first picture shows where the tub drains into a 3” pipe coming from the WC connection. The lavatory in the half bath connects in the wall just above the tub connection to the same through the roof vent stack. This 3” branch has a cleanout in the end of it going toward the place I want to put the washer.
Can I connect the 2” drain for the washer there, if I can get that cleanout plug out without damaging the cast iron?
The main is 4” and has the master bath lavatory and kitchen drain still connected to it. That lavatory does not seem to be vented. On down stream is the drain that served the washer before I removed the washer. It still serves the kitchen sink. That branch is still connected to its own through the roof vent.
I was told I could remove the cleanout at the WC and add a 4x2”Y and connect the washer there.
The washer will have its own vent stack through the roof or ran over about 12 feet and connected to the original vent now only serving the kitchen drain where the washer was originally.
I do not know right off hand whether the kitchen sink has its own vent or not. I know the drain itself was connected to the same drain the washer was on.
Comment?

Btw, ignore the piece of PVC to the right of the drain and the leaking WC. Guy that “repaired” that is supposed to come back and take a look at it. May end up doing it myself.

boman66-01.jpg

boman66-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The narrative and pictures are a bit hard to follow. How about a floor plan showing the horizontal drain runs and known vents, along with the proposed new location of the washer? Vertical pipes get represented by circles, their cross section.

One thing to bear in mind is that horizontal wet venting is restricted to bathrooms. So if any of the bathroom fixtures are currently using horizontal wet venting (rather than being individually vented), you need to tie in your washer drain downstream from all the wet vented bathroom fixtures.

Cheers, Wayne

Boman66

Reaction score
The narrative and pictures are a bit hard to follow. How about a floor plan showing the horizontal drain runs and known vents, along with the proposed new location of the washer? Vertical pipes get represented by circles, their cross section.

One thing to bear in mind is that horizontal wet venting is restricted to bathrooms. So if any of the bathroom fixtures are currently using horizontal wet venting (rather than being individually vented), you need to tie in your washer drain downstream from all the wet vented bathroom fixtures.

Cheers, Wayne
8C3687A7-13EA-48B1-9BCB-D47B8F238828.jpeg

Boman66

Reaction score
Hope you can make sense out of this.
The lavatory connection at the bottom is not vented and is not run horizontally.
The half bath lavatory is run just a little horizontally but is connected to that vent in the wall. The bath is connected to the same vent below the floor. I am concerned that if I connect the washer there if the O trap in the unvented lavatory in the master bath will siphon out. Don’t really think so being that drains into a 4” pipe.
I will either run the washer vent through the roof or over to the original vent it was connected to above the drain that serves the kitchen.

Boman66

Reaction score
I meant to say the P trap in the master serving the lavatory might siphon out if I connect the washer upstream even though there will be two vents along the washer line.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The drawing is hard to read and the pictures are worse don't see a cleanout but do see a combi with 2 inch drain coming off? maybe there is a clean out after the combi .
going into a 4 inch clean out should be fine since drawing and pics are bad I see no reason why not?

Boman66

Reaction score
The drawing is hard to read and the pictures are worse don't see a cleanout but do see a combi with 2 inch drain coming off? maybe there is a clean out after the combi .
going into a 4 inch clean out should be fine since drawing and pics are bad I see no reason why not?
There is a cleanout at the end of the branch drain where the tub is connected.
Going to the 4” cleanout concerns me be cause it is upstream from the sink in the master bath that does not have its own drain.
Guessing it is what is called wet vented into the 4” main.
If I can figure a dependable way of do it, I would just run the washer drain to the original branch it was on that still serves the kitchen sink.
I looked again this morning. The kitchen sink does have its own vent.
The branch it’s drain and the washer drained into also has its own vent.

Boman66

Reaction score
Hope this is the right picture showing the cleanout on the smaller drain the tub and a sink are tied to.
P.S. I have not found a way to edit my posts here.

boman66-01.jpg

Boman66

Reaction score
Hope this is the right picture showing the cleanout on the smaller drain the tub and a sink are tied to.
This is the tub drain. I find it odd that it runs from the front of tub at the tub drain under the tub before it connects to the vent down to the drain.

Correction: It appears both the kitchen sink and the master bath sink have there own vent.
So, I guess I could run my washer drain to the main cleanout or to the cleanout at the tub drain.
Can I run the new drain at the required slope until just before I tie it into the drain then slope it down at an angle about a foot or so?

Boman66

Reaction score

boman66-01.jpg
This is what I calling the branch drain for the tub and one sink. It is about 4’ from the main and water closet .
It is in the direction of where I want to locate the washer. ( about 10’)
Okay to connect washer drain there?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Supposed to connect to a 3 inch minimum pip[e size in IPC plumbing code looks like 2 inch? you might want to cut a wye in on the 4 inch main If it were in a number of other states it would be legal to do what you propose but don't think it passes in Alabama

Boman66

Reaction score
Supposed to connect to a 3 inch minimum pip[e size in IPC plumbing code looks like 2 inch? you might want to cut a wye in on the 4 inch main If it were in a number of other states it would be legal to do what you propose but don't think it passes
Supposed to connect to a 3 inch minimum pip[e size in IPC plumbing code looks like 2 inch? you might want to cut a wye in on the 4 inch main If it were in a number of other states it would be legal to do what you propose but don't think it passes in Alabama
I was thinking 2” pipe can handle 8 dry.
If I figured it right, sunk, tub, and washer is only 5 dfu.
If that is a 2” pipe, it would be like one continuos 2” pipe connected at the water closet connection to 4” main drain.
All three would have their own vent with the tub and small sink sharing the same through the roof vent shown in the picture.
But rather than fighting that cleanout and maybe damaging the pipe itself or the threads, maybe I should just run it on down to the water closet connection. I have the parts for that.
I only need to about 3.5” drop in the washer drain. The Y will connect about a foot and a half below the floor joists.
Can I increase the slope a short distance from where I connect at the water close Y?
I want to be able to strap the pipe for support to the floor joists.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Alabama plumbing code 406.2 I believe is going to require 3 inch minimum upon joining with other fixtures . If you want to meet code. I'm not recommending not following your code. My code has no such requirement so we don't usually run bigger than 2 inch and don't encounter any problems .

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Alabama plumbing code 406.2 I believe is going to require 3 inch minimum upon joining with other fixtures .
Actually as we recently learned from a poster here, from their inspector, if the jurisdiction adopts the plumbing chapters of the IRC, and doesn't amend IPC 101.2 Exception which says that single family dwellings, two family dwelling, and townhouses can use the IRC instead of the IPC, then there's no problem. IRC P2718 on clothes washing machines doesn't have the 3" requirement found in IPC 406.2.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Boman66

Reaction score
Actually as we recently learned from a poster here, from their inspector, if the jurisdiction adopts the plumbing chapters of the IRC, and doesn't amend IPC 101.2 Exception which says that single family dwellings, two family dwelling, and townhouses can using the IRC instead of the IPC, then there's no problem. IRC P2718 on clothes washing machines doesn't have the 3" requirement found in IPC 406.2.

Cheers, Wayne
Thank both of you guys for responding.
Can I increase the slant when I get close to the connection regardless whether I run it to that 2” or to the 4” at the water closet connection?
Both places are right at ground level. Space between the ground and floor where washer will be is quite a bit more.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Actually as we recently learned from a poster here, from their inspector, if the jurisdiction adopts the plumbing chapters of the IRC, and doesn't amend IPC 101.2 Exception which says that single family dwellings, two family dwelling, and townhouses can using the IRC instead of the IPC, then there's no problem. IRC P2718 on clothes washing machines doesn't have the 3" requirement found in IPC 406.2.

Cheers, Wayne
Well that's good news Wayne! So Alabama definitely cant require 3 inch?
bowman sure you can use a 22.5 degree fitting or 45 , perhaps at connection . no sense digging trench under there just extra work

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
1/4" per foot slope is a minimum, horizontal lines can be sloped more. Or you can effect an offset with a pair of 22.5s or 45s.

Cheers, Wayne

Boman66

Reaction score
1/4" per foot slope is a minimum, horizontal lines can be sloped more. Or you can effect an offset with a pair of 22.5s or 45s.

Cheers, Wayne
Okay, I am a little confused. I thought the slope thing usually applied to horizontal drain lines. This one will be horizontal when it leaves the vertical under the floor.
It can be sloped more than 1/4” per foot and not cause problem if the water moves faster than solids? Not sure if that would be much of a problem with washer drain.
I deal with appliances and have seen detergent, fabric softener, and such cause problems within the machines.
Sorry to bother you guys so much, but my research on this subject is confusing.
When I try to find info on the drain pipe itself, I get things like maximum length only twice the diameter of the pipe. Pipe can only be a certain length, etc.
Beginning to think so much of what I read is referring to the arm from the P trap to the vent stack.
The 1/4” per foot for 2” pipe is minimum for the actual horizontal drain pipe but can be sloped more for non solid waste pipe?
If I tie the vent to another in the attic, can I slant it more than 1/4” per foot?

Boman66

Reaction score
Okay, I am a little confused. I thought the slope thing usually applied to horizontal drain lines. This one will be horizontal when it leaves the vertical under the floor.
It can be sloped more than 1/4” per foot and not cause problem if the water moves faster than solids? Not sure if that would be much of a problem with washer drain.
I deal with appliances and have seen detergent, fabric softener, and such cause problems within the machines.
Sorry to bother you guys so much, but my research on this subject is confusing.
When I try to find info on the drain pipe itself, I get things like maximum length only twice the diameter of the pipe. Pipe can only be a certain length, etc.
Beginning to think so much of what I read is referring to the arm from the P trap to the vent stack.
The 1/4” per foot for 2” pipe is minimum for the actual horizontal drain pipe but can be sloped more for non solid waste pipe?
If I tie the vent to another in the attic, can I slant it more than 1/4” per foot?
Thank you for that clarification Wayne.
I have been way over thinking this.
Is that also minimum when tying into another vent that goes through the roof? It can be sloped more as long as it does not let water collect in it?

Boman66

Reaction score
Can I tie into that 2” drain downstream of the tub and lavatory drains which I assume are considered wet vented since they tie into that vertical vent.
From what I can find out 6 dfu’s can go to a 2” soil pipe (branch).
Washer,tub, and lavatory appear to be 5 dfu’s.
Can I tie directly into the dev y or do I need a long L or another 45 to connect to it?
The y will only be about 2 or 3 ‘ from water closet.
Does it matter what slant the y is as long as I slope the main part of the drain from the washer 1/4” per foot?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks