1/2" copper to 3/4" propex adapter

Users who are viewing this thread

Hdmstng

Reaction score
We are remodeling our bathroom and need to move the plumbing to the opposite wall. Currently have 1/2" copper lines and planned to use 3/4" ProPEX PEX A for the extension. We are going below the joists and back up, and it will be maybe 9 feet extra for each line to the new shower valve location.

Found what I thought I would need, a "3/4" ProPEX x 1/2" Female Sweat Copper Pipe Adapter" (see link below), but they are $10 each vs $3 for a 1/2" ProPEX x 1/2" Female Sweat copper pipe adapter. Is this a supply constraint or just not something that is done very often thus the price difference?

The shower will have a two body jets, a handheld and rain head and I had planned on plumbing it all with the 3/4 PEX. But would need at least 8 more for the shower valve, diverter and jets. Later on down the line, had also planned on replacing our copper lines to finish our basement and planned to use 3/4" PEX to all the 1/2 copper fixtures but seems crazy that those adapters are that much more expensive.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would say low volume product. You could solder in a 3/4" x 1/2" Copper Bushing with each 3/4 inch F1960 adapter.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would say low volume product. You could solder in a 3/4" x 1/2" Copper Bushing with each 3/4 inch F1960 adapter.
But the 3/4" are sufficiently more expensive (although not as expensive as the mixed size version) that that wouldn't be worth it.

Cheers, Wayne

Hdmstng

Reaction score
But the 3/4" are sufficiently more expensive (although not as expensive as the mixed size version) that that wouldn't be worth it.

Cheers, Wayne
The copper adapter and the extra soldering was what I wanted to avoid. Didn't realize the mixed sizes we're that much more expensive. Will use them for the main runs and just normal solder the rest.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Later on down the line, had also planned on replacing our copper lines to finish our basement and planned to use 3/4" pex to all the 1/2 copper fixtures but seems crazy that those adapters are that much more expensive.
You could consider using a 1/2" to 3/4" push to fit coupler for your 1/2" copper to 3/4" PEX connections. That would make sense if you trust them completely (many don't), or if they are in an exposed area (so you can inspect easily), or if you are planning to replace them per the above relatively soon (a couple years). An inexpensive off brand (no experience, not a recommendation):

Cheers, Wayne

Hdmstng

Reaction score
You could consider using a 1/2" to 3/4" push to fit coupler for your 1/2" copper to 3/4" PEX connections. That would make sense if you trust them completely (many don't), or if they are in an exposed area (so you can inspect easily), or if you are planning to replace them per the above relatively soon (a couple years). An inexpensive off brand (no experience, not a recommendation):

Cheers, Wayne
These will be going behind the walls for a shower and I wanted to not go smaller than 3/4 PEX as the 1/2 PEX would restrict flow with the slightly smaller ID.

While I can sweat copper pipes, I'm moving the shower head and controls from the left side of the shower to the right in a 5' wide bathroom. Plan is to drop the hot and cold lines down into the crawlspace, go along the floor joists and back up to the opposite wall. For that I'll use PEX A and the more expensive mixed size adapter as I'm not all that comfortable sweating the copper, with multiple 90's etc...while laying down on either the bathroom floor or doing it from below in the crawlspace between floor joists. Now mixing valve, diverter and jets, where I can stand and have better access, that I can solder. Maybe with some more practice I'll be able to get it down for my next bathroom remodel!

Fitter30

Reaction score
Like other people have wrote the more common a fitting is the cheaper it is. With pressure drop between fittings the choice of price vrs pressure drop might have to into the equation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks