Sump pump ghost turning it off

Users who are viewing this thread

Sokolq55

Reaction score
So this weird thing has happened for the third time in last few months. The sump pump works fine and then one day I’ll go to the basement and it’s flooding and the pump isn’t working.

I tiptoe my way to the sump pump, gently lift the pit cover and the pump magically kicks on.

I really don’t see that the cover is in any way physically messing with the pump. I mean it’s possible that lifting it maybe nudges the plug wire or something…maybe there’s a bad connection. Don’t know.

Anyone have anything similar happen? It happened today and I was intentionally extra careful when lifting the cover so as not to touch anything with it. And as soon as it’s lifted, the pump kicks on.

Reach4

Reaction score
Look what is near the float. Anything preventing it from moving up freely?

If not, replacing the float switch seems like a good move. You could try leaving the cover off for a while. Maybe get an alarm to detect the water is higher than normal. Alarm sounds. You sneak up on the pit. Is the float riding high, or is it under water?

https://www.basementwatchdog.com/watchdog-water-alarm/ is one choice. Loud and not expensive. Downside is that it uses 9-volt batteries, which are not so cheap.

Sokolq55

Reaction score
Look what is near the float. Anything preventing it from moving up freely?

If not, replacing the float switch seems like a good move. You could try leaving the cover off for a while. Maybe get an alarm to detect the water is higher than normal. Alarm sounds. You sneak up on the pit. Is the float riding high, or is it under water?

https://www.basementwatchdog.com/watchdog-water-alarm/ is one choice. Loud and not expensive. Downside is that it uses 9-volt batteries, which are not so cheap.
Float is free and moving fine. I think I’ll be getting one of the smart outlets for the pump that warns you if the pump isn’t running and has an attached water sensor, too. Moen now makes one but it’s not cheap. And those are obviously only good if the wifi isn’t out.

Ultimately though, I think I need to dig another pit and install a city-water powered unit. Connect the pits so if the electric one fills up, it will dump the excess into the water powered one. Do you have a recommendation on a water powered unit?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Float is free and moving fine.
What style of float is it, tethered or vertical? A tethered float needs a lot more space around it where it cannot possibly touch something whereas a vertical float does not require a lot of clearance around it.

Electronic probes require even less space. Maybe you could could fit two pumps in the pit if you minimize the space the float needs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks