Econominder 5600 clock not working

Users who are viewing this thread

Cindy406

Reaction score
I have an older Econominder 5600 softener that has stopped working, i notices it is no longer using any salt and I do not hear it cycle at night. I have also noticed the clock does not advance. I replaced the meter module on the back of the unit as it was a bit stiff but this has not helped.

Reach4

Reaction score
May be the motor failed. The problem may be a gear. The time does not change.

If you have a 24 volt motor, the wall transformer may have failed.

Last edited:

Cindy406

Reaction score
May be the motor failed. The problem may be a gear. The time does not change.

If you have a 24 volt motor, the wall transformer may have failed.
how would I test for this or should I just replace the control unit ... I did see some available on ebay?

Bannerman

Reaction score
The time clock motor for the 5600 Econominder also operates the valve gearing. Over time, the piston seals will often become worn/torn which can cause the mechanism to seize, which can jam the timer motor and can cause it to overheat and fail.

Suggest rebuilding the valve by replacing the seals, spacers, piston and brine valve seals. Replaceing those components may restore operation of the timer motor, but a replacement motor maybe easily obtained. Rebuilding the valve is a relatively straight forward proceedure if you are at all mechanically inclined.

Reach4

Reaction score
how would I test for this or should I just replace the control unit ... I did see some available on ebay?
I have not done anything like it, but in the service manual it looks like you could undo the motor (#3 in the diagram) by removing the two (#4 in dwg) screws. If the motor does not turn, then the problem is the motor, wiring, or power supply.

Cindy406

Reaction score
The time clock motor for the 5600 Econominder also operates the valve gearing. Over time, the piston seals will often become worn/torn which can cause the mechanism to seize, which can jam the timer motor and can cause it to overheat and fail.

Suggest rebuilding the valve by replacing the seals, spacers, piston and brine valve seals. Replaceing those components may restore operation of the timer motor, but a replacement motor maybe easily obtained. Rebuilding the valve is a relatively straight forward proceedure if you are at all mechanically inclined.

ok now I shall test my skills and see if I need new parts THANK YOU I will let you know how i do

Cindy406

Reaction score
I have not done anything like it, but in the service manual it looks like you could undo the motor (#3 in the diagram) by removing the two (#4 in dwg) screws. If the motor does not turn, then the problem is the motor, wiring, or power supply.
thank you I will give a try

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks