Liberty Pump 405 Venting and Trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Akarusso

Reaction score
Hi I am installing a liberty pump 405 for a basement laundry room. My question pertains to the vent. I can't tie into the existing vent system. Can I add a sure vent? If yes how high should install? My next question is can I ties in the laundry sink and the wash machine to one trap?

Thank you

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Hi I am installing a liberty pump 405 for a basement laundry room. My question pertains to the vent. I cant tie into the existing vent system. Can I add a sure vent? If yes how high should install? My next question is can I ties in the laundry sink and the wash machine to one trap?

Thank you
ABSOLUTLY NOT

Reach4

Reaction score
what part absolutely not?
When you add water, air must leave. An AAV will not permit air to leave.

For just laundry, you could have the vent line open, so room air could go both ways. But if the pump services a toilet, then that would not be suitable. I am not a pro.

Last edited:

Akarusso

Reaction score
When you add water, air must leave. An AAV will not permit air to leave.

For just laundry, you could have the vent line open, so room air could go both ways. But if the pump services a toilet, then that would not be suitable.
Thank you. The pump will only service gray water. Wash machine and Laundry sink. I was under the impression that an AAV is designed for areas where you cant connect to the main vent stack.

Akarusso

Reaction score
Thank you. The pump will only service gray water. Wash machine and Laundry sink. I was under the impression that an AAV is designed for areas where you cant connect to the main vent stack.
This pump is being plumbed into the existing sewer stack. Reason for pump is basement is higher that the sewer line

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The AAV isn't used on a laundry pump. You will have a gate valve and check valve for that before entering the waste line.
The reason an AAV is useless, is that it's a one way valve. The washer will be pumping into the basin and the AAV can't handle the positive water input.

If it were a sewage ejector, handling sink and/or toilet waste, then the venting through the roof would happen for sure, even if it was strapped to the outside of the home.

Akarusso

Reaction score
The AAV isn't used on a laundry pump. You will have a gate valve and check valve for that before entering the waste line.
The reason an AAV is useless, is that it's a one way valve. The washer will be pumping into the basin and the AAV can't handle the positive water input.

If it were a sewage ejector, handling sink and/or toilet waste, then the venting through the roof would happen for sure, even if it was strapped to the outside of the home.
Can I run a vent line up to the ceiling with no AAV. Just an open pipe to pull air in from the room?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
From the instruction sheet for the pump.

Vent NOTICE  Hand-tighten only  Do not cap-off vent  Do not use one-way quick-vents or air admittance valves as they will not guarantee proper fixture performance Provision is made for a vent stack to allow extra volume for high suds conditions, and to ensure proper drainage of the fixture. The vent pipe should have a union to facilitate removal, if required, and shall be connected directly to a building or house vent.

However, for a washer only, I have seen some that don't connect the venting up.

Akarusso

Reaction score
From the instruction sheet for the pump.

Vent NOTICE  Hand-tighten only  Do not cap-off vent  Do not use one-way quick-vents or air admittance valves as they will not guarantee proper fixture performance Provision is made for a vent stack to allow extra volume for high suds conditions, and to ensure proper drainage of the fixture. The vent pipe should have a union to facilitate removal, if required, and shall be connected directly to a building or house vent.

However, for a washer only, I have seen some that don't connect the venting up.
Thanks Terry, What would happen if I run a 7ft open 2 inch pipe up to the ceiling for venting?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks Terry, What would happen if I run a 7ft open 2 inch pipe up to the ceiling for venting?

Higher than the flood level of the fixture served would be enough I think.
I don't know what an inspector thinks though. I haven't done one for anyone. All my stuff has been with a standard standpipe.
I did have one home thirty years ago that threw me for a loop. waste higher than the washer downstairs, I didn't like how that went down.

Akarusso

Reaction score
Higher than the flood level of the fixture served would be enough I think.
I don't know what an inspector thinks though. I haven't done one for anyone. All my stuff has been with a standard standpipe.
I did have one home thirty years ago that threw me for a loop. waste higher than the washer downstairs, I didn't like how that went down.
Thats my issue. My washer is lower than the main waste line. That why we need a pump.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've installed sewage ejectors before. I had one in Seattle where I ran the vent outside and up through the roof. I roped myself off so that I didn't fall off.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
A clothes washer has a pump built into it, the manual for the washer should tell you how high it can pump. For example, the last one I bought says that the discharge from the washer has to be 30" to 96" above the bottom of the washer.

You'd still need vertical clearance for a standpipe and trap (and a vent for the trap, which could be an AAV), and so the washer would have to be able to pump to the top of the standpipe. It might work if your sewer line exits the basement at 4' AFF, not likely to work at 8' AFF, and a maybe at 6' AFF.

And this wouldn't help you for a laundry sink, for that you'll need a separate basin and pump.

Cheers, Wayne

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
NYC it is a code violation to use a cheater vent on any fixture . This is why I stated "absolutely not"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks