Triangle Tube Prestige Boiler Problems, Solutions & Question

Users who are viewing this thread

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes. Just about the entire system has been cleaned or replaced at this point. Gas pressure has been normal every time it's been checked. Technician suspects it's something in the composition of the gas that is causing the residue? Does anyone have any insight to that? We have been trouble shooting this issue for more than a year and only finally got to the bottom of the cause of the loud "bang" that takes place and the repeated (but intermittent) ignition issues -- something is causing this red residue which causes the ignitor to fail or "bang". (Prior to the violent ignition we would regularly get an error that the boiler had failed to ignite after 5 attempts). The issue seems exactly the same as the post in 2014, but I don't see any solution.
I know triangle tube had some documented issues with their spark igniter. They switched to a champion spark ignition. Can you locate the spark igniter and see if it is in fact the newer champion brand?

SB123

Reaction score
I don't know about this - I'll check. Thanks for the suggestion.
Following up, yes, flame is good - this was already checked. The only thing left to do is find out if there is anything wrong with the gas supply - we're considering there may be moisture in the gas or an additive that is causing the red residue. We've been trying to find a solution for more than a year at this point.

MNHomeOwner

Reaction score
I have a Triangle Tube PT175 installed in 2013 under previous owner. It has both CH and DHW.

For the last two years or so it has had the delayed ignition banging problem that resulted in cracking of the unit's vent pipe, which I replaced. I also replaced the igniter (just the igniter using PTRKIT313, not the newer igniter replacement that includes the updated control module etc).

Here's a data point I have not seen anyone else report: The delayed ignition bang *always* happens for a DHW call and *never* for a CH call. Does that make sense to anyone?

I suspect the DHW call must have some different configuration versus CH for the pre-ignition blower fan (time or speed) or possibly the fuel. But I have not found any settings in the technical manuals that differentiate these. Is there such a thing?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Since this is a known problem why don't you use the new ignition system and control? Why guess?

Curious Skip

Reaction score
I have a TT Prestige Solo 110, and like several others above, I am having delayed ignition problems, with the associated BOOM. It's actually not a brand new problem, but one that my service company has been able to deal with. Maybe a couple of years now. And the boiler is 17 years old. So currently, I have a call in to the service company, but now they are having serious problems keeping trained help. They won't, or can't come unless I'm without heat. I have a call into another company as well, same issue with them. I figure I'll hire the first one that can come.

I don't have any idea about the workings of the boiler. Is there anything a moderately capable DYI-er can look at inside? Is the igniter something I could clean or replace without danger?

Curious Skip

Reaction score
So, company #2 found time to come by about 2 weeks ago. #2 cleaned the igniter, and it has continued to boom. Company #1, the one that installed the system, is coming in the morning. I intend to discuss installing a new boiler, but I have read where brand new boilers also have ignition issues. I have not even taken the cover off at this point. It's pretty much "hands off" for me.

Fitter30

Reaction score
So, company #2 found time to come by about 2 weeks ago. #2 cleaned the igniter, and it has continued to boom. Company #1, the one that installed the system, is coming in the morning. I intend to discuss installing a new boiler, but I have read where brand new boilers also have ignition issues. I have not even taken the cover off at this point. It's pretty much "hands off" for me.
Ask them about factory service rep since it's a on going problem.

Md2020Drums

Reaction score
Oh no! Disregard, this wasn't aimed at you. Kind of ironic because my original post (which I thought I'd deleted) was a snarky "ok, we get it" to the original poster of the quoted message. Of course I decided against starting something AFTER the fact. I tried to delete my post, but apparently it left the quote in there.

Hgold4423

Reaction score
So what was the ultimate answer to this thread? Did entire new ingition kit do trick? Was it a worn out venturi in the end?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks