Proflo 200 WOG wont shut off all the way. Repairable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rileydog123

Reaction score
Hello all,

My house built in 1999/2000, has a entire house shut off valve located in an interior wall of a hall closet. Its about 30 ft from where water comes into the crawlspace and roughly 40 ft from gas water heater in the garage.

Valve isn't leaking externally, but does not fully shut the water off. When closed completely a little water drips out of some fixtures.

Enough that the water co contacted me for excess usage far above my normal usage while I was out of town for a month. Turns out a toilet was getting enough water and running 24 hrs a day.

So, I've been shutting off that valve in the closet along with all fixture shut off valves when I leave town. But that doesn't obviously shut off all my water.

And I want to make some bath tub and shower changes in the bathroom - getting rid of the huge separate jetted tub. So being able to use the shut off would be helpful.

Its a Proflo 200 WOG. I'm assuming this is a gate valve?

Last edited:

Rileydog123

Reaction score

D3B7EE2B-20D2-4E7C-92E6-E101959CDD57.jpeg

Last edited:

Rileydog123

Reaction score
Shut off valve is about 18 inches off of the floor in hall closet. Water lines are in the crawl space.

Is this something that can be repaired? Or is it replacement only?

I have done some plumbing work, but have not ever installed an entire house shut off - only 1/4 shut offs for fixtures.

rileydog-01.jpg

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Open and close the valve few times with water running bath tub if theres dirt at the bottom of the gate groove might clean it out.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's a gate valve, and sometimes they don't shut off all the way. I often while doing service work, if I can't get the their main shutoff to close fully, take my meter wrench at shut the water off at the meter.
I installed plenty of gate valves in the past, used to solder them closed and the opened them up afterwards. If a bit of something runs down the fitting, it can make for a bad seal. Or maybe they were never all that good in the first place, I don't know.
I now install ball valves instead, a much better way to get a complete seal. I do like that the gate valves are good for just the stem, which is longer than the ball valve extension, sticking out past the drywall in a wall. It's hard to nicely have a ball valve in that location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks