Help selecting filtration system

Users who are viewing this thread

Stan99

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I need some help choosing the correct filtration system for our new home. I've spent the last three months or so reading as much information as I can. I must admit, it's been kind of fun learning about the science behind proper water treatment and filtration methods. This forum has been my go to when I come across conflicting information, which seems to be pretty often. I really appreciate the open sharing of knowledge and expertise with those of us not familiar with this industry.

We built a new home on a well last year, Pex with manablock and tankless water heater with high efficient fixtures and appliances. 20 x 4.5 carbon filter after 60 mesh spin down filter is the only filtration. The home is 3 bed 2.5 bath. Master bath is 4 piece with xtra deep soaker tub, but its not used very often. There are 3 of us living here and we will be finishing full bath and wet bar in basement later this year. I'm not sure of usage but our previous home was city water and last bill annual usage was approx. 80,000 gallons for the year. I think that might be higher than current usage at this home, because front lawn sprinklers were included in water bill. In this home they were installed prior to water pipe going into the home. Our well flow rate is a little over 18 gpm @ 13 deg C. I do not know water temp in summer. We had the water lab tested and the results are as follows:

pH 7.48 s.u
Chloride 32.50 mg/L
Flouride 0.35 mg/L
Total Hardness 190 mg/L
Nitrate-Nitrogen less than 1.0 mg/L
Calcium 58.80 mg/L
Magnesium 10.60 mg/L
Sodium 80.00 mg/L
Sulfate 92.50 mg/L
Iron 0.017 mg/L
Manganese 0.162 mg/L
Electrical Conductivity 744 umhos/cm
TDS Calculated 528 mg/L
Total Coliforms None detected
E. Coli None detected
Coliform bacterial condition Acceptable

I'm not sure what type of filtration would be best for my situation. Is Katalox Light over kill for my water conditions? Would another method be a better choice? (AIO with catalytic carbon, chlorine/h2o2 with contact tank and then carbon filter, where to buy....etc) I'm open to any advice and help i can get as I'm a bit overwhelmed because I have read Manganese is difficult to remove with low iron.

For now we're not as concerned with the hardness as we don't really have scaling issues, just brown/black staining in toilet tanks and slight pink/orange in bowls. The tanks are not slime just light coating that feels like dust or dry film. We feel getting the water cleaned up first is priority, then we'll get into reducing hardness.

I would prefer a system that's simple to maintain, but I realize that may not be what's best for my situation. Like everyone else, budget plays a factor so adding as we go might be necessary. I appreciate everyone's time in reading this and whatever information you will need, I will do what I can to get what you're asking for.

Thank you.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

... I'm a bit overwhelmed ...
And so is this reader. Stan, water filtration is a very complex subject, too much so for me to offer any advice except to consult some neighbors and/or a few local professionals. Neighbors will tell you what works or doesn't, and local pros know the water situations and what works.

If all you wanted to do was soften, well that could be a DIY project but "cleanup" is something else altogether IMO.

Stan99

Reaction score
Thanks Max, I appreciate your input. I agree cleaning up water takes lots of knowledge and can be daunting, but I think with some insight from those more experienced and lots of late night reading it can be done DIY.
From my reading on this forum and a couple of university websites, I feel like my specific water results are not so severe that I need lots of equipment to make it better.

I think I should have put more info about what I'm considering system wise. I'm stuck between KL filter with control head to draw a solution, in case I need to add oxidation later, or oxidation and contact tank then Catalytic carbon filter. I'm hung up on which would remove the manganese better. Also on what size and reputable online sales.

Neighbors so far haven't been too helpful. Only 4 around me, one of them just sold. I have spoken with one and he mentioned he had a "chlorine system", but when asked for more info he seemed reluctant to share details. I am trying to catch him at home (travels for work) to get more info. Coworkers live in town on city water so mostly softeners.
Not a lot of local dealers coming up in searches. Two national brands (trying to stay away from proprietary stuff) and a couple local dealers. One sells automotive shop equipment and added water treatment, the other just tested for hardness and wanted to schedule time to size a softener.

Honestly I'm leaning towards KL filter followed by 1 micron filter and give it a couple months then test again. Add as I go which might get expensive. So I thought I'd ask here first to hopefully minimize the costs if possible.

Thanks again.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Well good luck Kansas I wish I could help you. FWIW when I lived in Texas (in the "extreme country") I ordered a softener system from FL and put it together myself. Was a huge learning experience cuz the valve was set-up wrong but I figured it out w/some help from the seller and got it working. Too bad you can't find a local expert--all water is different it seems.

>when asked for more info he seemed reluctant to share details.

Or maybe he didn't really know what he had and didn't wanna sound stupid. You are obviously not stupid.

;)

Stan99

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Max. I didn't think about him not really knowing, it's possible. I've just learned over the years to not jump blindly into anything. I"m hoping I won't have similar issues as you did. That would be frustrating. Still holding out for recommendations from the knowledgeable folks on this site.

Have a good one!

Eric Wesson

Reaction score
I am on a well here in Idaho. We get some hydrogen sulfide in the water, and of course rust in the water. Hardness is 8-12 gpg. I only put in a 5 micron cartridge filter, followed by a softener and then a 1.5 cubic foot carbon filter tank.

One micron filtration is probably overkill.

I would do the basics first. Regardless of your final solution, you will want five micron particulate filtration. Add carbon filtering if you have objectionable taste or odor. Add softening if you want to eliminate ion problems. At that point, see if you are still getting staining.

Make sure your outside fixtures are not utilizing the treated water. It will be a horrendous waste of the treatment capacity. That is, unless your water is so bad it buggers up sprinklers!

Stan99

Reaction score
I am on a well here in Idaho. We get some hydrogen sulfide in the water, and of course rust in the water. Hardness is 8-12 gpg. I only put in a 5 micron cartridge filter, followed by a softener and then a 1.5 cubic foot carbon filter tank.

One micron filtration is probably overkill.

I would do the basics first. Regardless of your final solution, you will want five micron particulate filtration. Add carbon filtering if you have objectionable taste or odor. Add softening if you want to eliminate ion problems. At that point, see if you are still getting staining.

Make sure your outside fixtures are not utilizing the treated water. It will be a horrendous waste of the treatment capacity. That is, unless your water is so bad it buggers up sprinklers!
Hi Eric and thanks for the experience and suggestions. Your recommendation of doing the basics first is what I plan on doing.
Going with KL filter with softener head in case I need to clean the media better than straight water will do. The reason for the 1 micron filter idea (not sure I'm going to do it) is due to KL being able to filter to 3 micron but some reports I've read, I believe on this site, state they get something downstream in faucets that could possibly be from the KL media itself. I thought the recommendation was to add 1 micron filter for a while to catch the stuff until KL media stabilizes.

Currently our water tests fine, but I realize that may change after going through KL filter. So carbon final stage might be necessary. I'll give it a couple months and then adjust system as required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks