Plastic sink basin nut problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Sforms

Reaction score
Hi I’m trying to replace my kitchen faucet. Got a tool to grab the plastic basin nut started to turn- and then realized I am turning the nut and the bolt together. So the nut is stuck to the bolt and the bolt is broken off of the faucet assembly on the inside. How do I get this off? Hoping to not have to call a plumber because I know if I can get the old faucet off I can put in the new one myself. Help!!

Reach4

Reaction score
The plumber could use a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder without damaging the sink or causing injury.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some faucets loosen from up top by taking the gooseneck off and inserting a large spline drive. What brand of faucet and what shape is the Nut?

Sforms

Reaction score
Some faucets loosen from up top by taking the gooseneck off and inserting a large spline drive. What brand of faucet and what shape is the Nut?
I think it’s a delta it’s at least 15 years old. The nut is a large plastic one. Not a gooseneck- it’s a pullout.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would cut my losses literally and cut the plastic nut off the threaded shaft. I use a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and Eye Protection for this sort of task

Sforms

Reaction score
FF2EB9C3-39C3-457C-BE38-5D92F29E1C84.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The easy way.. which is still going to be difficult, is to grab onto the bolt down at the very very bottom with a pair of pliers or better yet a small vice grip pliers that you can leave on and will rest against the sink, while spinning the nut down with a basin wrench. Then When you get to the point where the nut is now close to the mangled threads down low, switch positions of the tools. Place the pliers above the nut and spin the nut off the rest of the way.

Chances are that once you start spinning it, it will loosen its grip on the bolt.

I think thats a moen or a delta

Sforms

Reaction score
The easy way.. which is still going to be difficult, is to grab onto the bolt down at the very very bottom with a pair of pliers or better yet a small vice grip pliers that you can leave on and will rest against the sink, while spinning the nut down with a basin wrench. Then When you get to the point where the nut is now close to the mangled threads down low, switch positions of the tools. Place the pliers above the nut and spin the nut off the rest of the way.

Chances are that once you start spinning it, it will loosen its grip on the bolt.

I think thats a moen or a delta
Yes I’ve tried that. I’ll try that again. Hard to get the right position to get enough torque on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks