Are the PEX Type-B crimp rings all same (for 1/2 and 3/4 tube) regardless of pipe manufacturer?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Are the PEX type "B" pipe "compression rings" all the same for the various brands of PEX B tube?
Meaning if I run across PEX-B, regardless of the manufacturer will the (1/2" and 3/4") crimp rings I have work - or do I need to buy the crimp rings from the manufacture of the tubing?

Also do the shinny copper and the dull copper (or is it brass?) crimp rings use the same crimper tool and Go-No-Go gauge?

Lastly, can I use crimp rings on both PEX-A (Uponor ProPEX) and PEX-B pipe. I have the Uponor expander tool - I'm just curious if the crimp rings also work on the PEX-A (or is the diameter of the tubing different for type A and B)?

Thanks.
DIYer

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I will emphasize only: Mixing mfr's products will leave you with NO warranty coverage. I know with Uponor, that the installer must have taken mini course and have certification for warranty to be fully covered. Yet, like in the case of the Colorado class action against Uponor for failing colored PEX, they have settled without casting aspersions or requirements on that class and are paying for everything.

Reach4

Reaction score
Lastly, can I use crimp rings on both PEX-A (Uponor ProPEX) and PEX-B pipe. I have the Uponor expander tool - I'm just curious if the crimp rings also work on the PEX-A (or is the diameter of the tubing different for type A and B)?
Same size, so you could use crimp or clamp with the appropriate fittings on one end of a pex-A pipe, and expansion fittings on the other end.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I will emphasize only: Mixing mfr's products will leave you with NO warranty coverage. I know with Uponor, that the installer must have taken mini course and have certification for warranty to be fully covered. Yet, like in the case of the Colorado class action against Uponor for failing colored PEX, they have settled without casting aspersions or requirements on that class and are paying for everything.
I'm not concerned with warranty - I am not a professional plumber (as you can probably tell from my questions). I am a DIYer.

I usually come across PEX tubing (at my father's place or other family/friend's homes) where I don't know which manufacture made the tube. For example, next week I'm going to replace his water heater which is plumbed with PEX-B. I cannot tell who made the tubing - only that it is PEX-B and uses a crimp ring.
So when I go to HD and buy their brand PEX-B tube and crimp rings, I just want to be sure it will work with whatever brand PEX-B was used by the guy that installed the water heater (or whatever items I am working on).

BTW - what is the issue with the Uponor "colored" PEX-A tubing? I used a lot of that in my own home.
Thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks