INSTALLATION OF NEW HYDRONIC EXPANSION TANK

Users who are viewing this thread

Kneejerk

Reaction score
As a new member, I would like to thank everyone for the help with my recent wireless thermostat post. It was suggested to me that the expansion tank installed on my new Viessman Vitodens 100-W boiler is undersized, but the technician quoted $499.00 (no joke!) to install the next larger size. I searched online and found the identical tank, which I purchased for the delivered price of $58.75. I would like to install it myself, if I can get advise on the proper procedure. Pictures are apparently too large to post, but the sequence is: cold water feed line, 1/2” 9D-M3 BFP W/ATMOS.VENT, Watts B1156F set 15psi pressure reducing valve, shut-off valve, Black iron Tee down to PROSELECT PSHT15 expansion tank (to be replaced by PSHT30), and up to a SPIROVENT microbubble resorber. Thanks for any help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless there are isolation valves to the ET, to remove and replace it will require depressurizing the system and likely draining some of it. Depending on how it is plumbed with valves, it can take a while to then purge all of the air introduced when draining, then refilling the system. Time is money, so it's not just the parts costs. So, depending on the system, that might be a fair price. If you're really lucky, it could be a 15-minute job, so that would be quite high. Can't tell without being there or at least seeing what you have.

If the water contains a stabilizer, that would add a small amount to the parts and time costs when replacing it with new.

Kneejerk

Reaction score
Take a few pics of the boiler and related piping stand back a little when taking pics

I hope this helps. I can send individual closeups if helpful.
970CB41C-DE7D-435D-AD9E-4A6903E9E19C.jpeg
PS: It appears IT isn’t this old guy’s specialty….upside down is the best I can do, although I do pretty well with tools.

Last edited:

Fitter30

Reaction score
System is all floor radiate heat? Boiler pressure set at 15 lbs? How many feet of 1/2" pex? Brand and model of ex tank. Is this a new system?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks