Needing some help please

Users who are viewing this thread

StarlightStarbright

Reaction score
Hi everyone! First timer here, so hopefully I get the process right. I really need some help identifying a "vintage" shower mixer valve. I am pretty sure it is Kohler, but after poking around here a bit, I guess it might also possibly American Standard or Speakman. I am going to attach as many pics as this page will allow me. I need to identify and hopefully find a place to refurbish or replace the parts, so I can get this old shower back to its full glory. Sadly this shower had the most wonderful water pressure in the whole house before it died on me. The house is 72 years old, but I do believe this particular bathroom was maybe remodeled at some point..possibly the 70's? The whole room (including the shower) had floor to ceiling 1x1 multi greyscale tiles and a lovely sun roof...very unique and we hope to not have to tear out any of the tile if possible. Please take a look and let me know what you think. In a perfect world, I would love to find all of the parts in the pictures, but understand that might not be possible. Much appreciated!! :)

Attachments

• IMG_4911.jpg
    IMG_4911.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0461-2.jpg
    IMG_0461-2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0462-2.jpg
    IMG_0462-2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0463.jpg
    IMG_0463.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0464.jpg
    IMG_0464.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0465.jpg
    IMG_0465.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_4909.jpg
    IMG_4909.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4910.jpg
    IMG_4910.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 133

StarlightStarbright

Reaction score
I agree. Thanks to this wonderful page I found that info earlier when searching & that is why I posted here to ask for more help. Since mine isn't that exact identical part, how could I go about replacing what I have? Does anyone out there refurbish old parts that you cannot buy anymore? Is there a place to buy these old parts that I just haven't found yet? Any advice to swap this old one out without removing the wall and the rest of this fixture? The part inside the wall looks perfectly fine they say. I am desperate to leave this old shower as-is if I can help it. Thanks again for replying. Very much appreciated. I found your FB page too. :) Cheryl

IMG_0478.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your valve is American Standard R1400. Repair parts are still available for this. Below is the parts sheets and the rebuild kit for the valve. Checking other items #9 Packing nut,# 14 Cap, and # 2 Handle are still available through Tapco (Known through most wholesalers). # 5 and other escutcheons are no longer available but the china escutcheons are routinely on Ebay.

Attachments

• Amstd_Sec1 Mixing Valve.pdf
    173.9 KB · Views: 139
  • AS12936-09 -converted-compressed.pdf
    60.8 KB · Views: 135

StarlightStarbright

Reaction score
Your valve is American Standard R1400. Repair parts are still available for this. Below is the parts sheets and the rebuild kit for the valve. Checking other items #9 Packing nut,# 14 Cap, and # 2 Handle are still available through Tapco (Known through most wholesalers). # 5 and other escutcheons are no longer available but the china escutcheons are routinely on Ebay.
Thank you so much!!! That gave me some great info to go on and I have already ordered some of the parts. Hopefully my plumber can work with what is available & get this shower up and running again. Much appreciated!!! :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks