Broan bath heater outlet not working

Users who are viewing this thread

Victor Hastings

Reaction score
Hello all,

My house is 40 years old & has Broan bathroom vent fans/heaters <EDIT: model 655>. Last week one of the heaters (but not the light or extractor fan) stopped working. I pulled the heating unit, plugged it directly into a wall outlet -- nothing. Then I noticed that the thermal fuse was connected incorrectly (it was on top of the heating element rather than below it). The fuse tested okay, so I reconnected it correctly. I plugged the unit into a wall outlet, & it fired right up, blower as well as element.

I put the heater back into the housing, flipped the wall switch & nothing happened. I swapped out the wall switch -- still nothing.

So --- the light & extractor fan work fine. They are on the same circuit as the heater. I guess there is a problem with the outlet that the heater plugs into.

Where do I go from here? I don't want to remove the housing unless I really have to.

Thanks.

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If I read it correctly, with the heating element removed you were able to plug the unit in a wall outlet and it actually got hot? You really need a voltmeter to check voltages at the heater part of the unit. Could be a burned out connector or wire. the electrical outlet that the heat plugs into is probably bad.

The company is now Broan-NuTone and heated exhaust fans are still made. There might be a heater kit for your model. At Amazon search "Broan-Nutone heater"

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The socket in the main unit may be too loose, or the heat caused one of the wires to break, or, if the switch has a separate one for heat, the switch could be bad. You really need a close visual inspection, and probably a meter, but using a meter takes a bit of skill and knowledge to interpret, too.

Victor Hastings

Reaction score
If I read it correctly, with the heating element removed you were able to plug the unit in a wall outlet and it actually got hot? You really need a voltmeter to check voltages at the heater part of the unit. Could be a burned out connector or wire. the electrical outlet that the heat plugs into is probably bad.

The company is now Broan-NuTone and heated exhaust fans are still made. There might be a heater kit for your model. At Amazon search "Broan-Nutone heater"

Victor Hastings

Reaction score
Sorry to be unclear -- the heater fan & heating element are fine now that I've installed the thermal fuse correctly. If I plug the unit into a wall socket, the fan comes on & the heating element gets hot.

But when I plug the unit into the outlet built into the housing, it doesn't turn on. Since the vent fan & light come on, I assume the problem is the outlet

Victor Hastings

Reaction score
The socket in the main unit may be too loose, or the heat caused one of the wires to break, or, if the switch has a separate one for heat, the switch could be bad. You really need a close visual inspection, and probably a meter, but using a meter takes a bit of skill and knowledge to interpret, too.
The heater has its own switch, but I swapped out the switch & the heater still doesn't work. I guess I need to look at the outlet in the housing.

Victor Hastings

Reaction score
Grainger sells that receptacle for $3, so I'm going to grab one before I start taking down parts of the housing.

My unit is a Broan 655, FWIW. Thanks.

Victor Hastings

Reaction score

The company is now Broan-NuTone and heated exhaust fans are still made. There might be a heater kit for your model. Search "Broan-Nutone heater"
Grainger sells the receptacle for $3. I'm going to grab one before I take out any more of the housing. FWIW I have model 655. Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks