Combi Boiler System Installation Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Reicherb

Reaction score
I made a mistake... I have 120' of non oxygen barrier PEX in my system. The air scoop and the expansion tank are the only components that aren't copper, brass, or stainless. The pex is inside a wall now. Do I need to open the wall to replace it or will I be ok?

Thanks.

Edit... The circulators are cast iron as well. I'm using Glycol if that matters.

Reicherb

Reaction score
I've got everything plumbed and wiring it up. I'm a bit confused. I'm using a Taco ZVC403-4

Here is the manual for the controls:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Taco-ZVC403-4- Install.pdf
It seems pretty straightforward.
Zone valve and thermostat connections are super easy.
System and secondary pump looks straightforward.

How do I tell the boiler that there is a call for heat? It's more than connecting the pump to the taco control. Right?

Here is the boiler manual. Wiring starts on page 48.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/Weil-Mclain-383-100-030-User-Guide.pdf

Thanks.

Reicherb

Reaction score
It works!

Thank you all very much for our help.
IMG_20211123_211402532.jpg

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Looks good. Very nice. It warms my heart to see someone appreciate the value and quality of copper sweat joint vs other available (but interior) connection types.

Are those 90's on the air supply and return kosher? I for some reason thought they wanted a certain amount of straight pipe before a 90.

Reicherb

Reaction score
I hope it's all kosher! I honestly don't know. It seems to be working well.

I do still need to adjust the max water set point and the flow rate of both circulators.

Reicherb

Reaction score
The boiler has been running for a number of days. I've got a few questions. The typical setpoint is going to be 50 degree but I'll warm it to 67 on occasion.

I'm feeding the barn with 100 degree water and it's coming back about 70 degrees. Does that seem appropriate or should I slow the circulator down?

The primary circulator runs after there is no longer a call for heat. I assume this is to circulate the warm water. The secondary circulator is not running and all zones are closed. Any ideas how to either stop the circulator or get it to circulate it into the building?

Every day, I find a very small amount of water (glycol actually) on the floor under the pressure relief valve. The boiler and the pressure gauge I have near the pressure relief both shows 20psi or less every time I look. Any ideas what the cause might be?

Thanks!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm
Not sure. Page 34 for water piping shows it on the supply. They usually are last though. I was thinking there might be a check built into the circulator that is messing things up. Does your gauge record pressure spikes with a tattle tail needle? In your picture the condensate is in that same area also. It'd be nice to make sure that it's water expansion causing the relief to trip and not something else.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Your pressure is running 21 lbs? Why its floor heat? What air pressure is in the expansion tank cold system 100* f or less? How many gallons of water in the system and model and brand of ex tank? 30* td across boiler would like to see more flow 20* but its ok.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks